AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since purchasing a folding stock AK, I've been looking around for some sort of sealable, airtight and watertight container that I can use as an alternative to just putting it in the safe. I'm wanting to hide one or more away from the safe in another location just so I don't have all my eggs in one basket if the house gets broken into.

The inside length of the container needs to be at least 28". So far I can't find a military surplus ammo can or other container that long.

Can anybody think of another type of conatiner that would work?

·
Registered
617 Posts
A length of PVC pipe with a couple of end caps can be cut to any size you want for storage.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...hold on...maybe I should clarify things.

I'm not looking to seal up the container where I can't open it any time I want to. I'm looking for something like a surplus military container with the gasket-seal lid that I can put the rifle in witha desiccant packet and only open once a year or so to shoot the rifle or see how it's doing, etc.

I'm also not looking to bury it in the back yard (I've got a hiding place so good I'm not even gonna say it). :grin:

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
apb2772 said:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/120mm-mortar-can-2582.cfm

:mrgreen:

These Work well, especially with folders and collapsibles..

--->APB

THAT'S IT!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had this weird idea that if i ever get to build my own house i would take a spare AK and wall it in behind the dry-wall so i could bust it out later.............
not that i would do that...
but i think of some odd shit when i'm bored.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
apb2772 said:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/120mm-mortar-can-2582.cfm

:mrgreen:

These Work well, especially with folders and collapsibles..

--->APB
+1

If its not a folder, just remove the stock. The screwdriver in the cleaning kit can be used to reinstall it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Cheaper Than Dirt has these listed. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA063-1.html
They are a little more discrete than a mortar can if you wanted to place it in a broom closet or such.

Still don't count out the PVC though. You can cap one end, and use one of the screw off clean out plugs for the other.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
the guys from surplus ammo.com sell at my local shows, and they sell surplus mortar cans like the ones that were posted for $5 each. I have 4 in the garage waiting for aks and ammo.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is coming by UPS tomorrow. It's the 120mm mortar can from Army Surplus Warehouse. I plan to wrap the rifle in bubble pack to protect the finish, put some foam in the bottom of the can, then seal the gun up with desiccant and as many mags as I can. We're not talking about doing this to your everyday shooter, just safe queens and/or SHTF weapons.

·
Banned
698 Posts
PanzerSlayer said:
Here you go. Find the hidden weapon

Thats even more obvious than just the shotgun sitting out by itself in the corner.

Hmmm, big piece of weird, out of place screwtop pipe, wonder what is in it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why not cut the PVC pipe to length where it fits floor to ceiling somewhere in the house, probably garage or basement, and then hide it in plain sight as an exposed pipe?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well it was just an experiment put together by a few guys sitting around a campfire. I had a much more detailed write up on the pros and cons after I played around with it for a few days. In those other pics there are dozens of pvc pipes in the corner. Plus it was originally designed to be a carry case stored in the back of a pickup loaded with other construction items. This was just the a prototype that really went nowhere after a lot of discussion. It was not easy to open, could only hold a shotgun or SKS (no way an assembled AK would fit) and it was rather bulky. I could not find the original posting in the SHTF section

·
Super Moderator
26,067 Posts
resting said:
Why not cut the PVC pipe to length where it fits floor to ceiling somewhere in the house, probably garage or basement, and then hide it in plain sight as an exposed pipe?
Thats a good idea!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts