AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
InRange has my .308 Saiga..............

Are they ever going to produce hicaps for it ???

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
I think it depends on the US importer.. And if the "Its not a Military high cap, so its ok" deal holds out..

The Russians do NOT make any high cap 7.62x51 magazines for the Saiga, nor do they make a military version for export. As such, there is no standard tooling or mags to modify, unlike the Saiga 7.62x39.

The Euro market is too small to justify creating a new one, but the US market might be the push out the door..

BTW, Tromix has started selling conveted mags (from M14 I think) for $65.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I think M14 mags are the way to go.

The Yugo 7.62x51mm rifles used magazines very similar to the M14, and the first Galil .308 mags were converted M14 mags.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
What needs to be done to convert an M14 mag?

I'm on the verge of selling my Saiga 308 for this reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I once had high hopes of a pistol grip converted Saiga .308 with a pile of 20 round mags. :neutral:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Greentimber said:
What needs to be done to convert an M14 mag?

I'm on the verge of selling my Saiga 308 for this reason.

From what I remember of the converted IMI mags I had, and the Yugo 7.62 NATO rifles I used to have (do we see a pattern here of getting rid of things we shouldn't? :neutral: ), the M14 mags need a lug welded in front, and the feed lips shortened up, and maybe cut down a little.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I still do not know why somone will not take the Galil to AR mag adaptor, and scale it up to allow G3 mags in the saiga. Anyone who did this could sell one for almost every 308 saiga ever sold in this country, and the availability of such a thing would no doubt create a higher demand for the rifles.

·
Registered
488 Posts
SVT said:
Ive seen a bastard hi-cap mag made from a regular Saiga .308 magazine and an alloy G3 magazine mated to the bottom bringing the capacity to 25 rounds. It apparently worked well, but wasn't very aesthetically pleasing.

Ill see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it.
Yep...I'm it's daddy.

Lollygagger :roll:

P.S -FWIW, I'll repost at the Saiga forum with a little more tutorial stuff.

FWIW, the parts involved...

The G3 mag top is cut, lips bent to fit in the Saiga mag bottom where the floor plate usually resides, and, the G3 follower cut to a taper in the front to fit the Saiga upper mag body...the sides of the follower needed to be "thinned" a bit, as well...that was pretty much it. $3 (aluminum used mag) & labor.

Views of the parts:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts