AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a AR guy and looking something cheap to shoot, so got a wild hair up my ass and wanting to get ak74. I hate that I got on the boat late in the game because my searching showed 100rds were once 80-120 bucks!!!! whoa!

I wanted to get a saiga and convert it as I want but the front end conversion leaves more to be diesred. Example when one removeds the stock front sight and gas block left is bare metal on the barrel and the barrel is dimpled. I hope that makes sense.

Then I though just bite the bullet and get a Arsenal but I would really like to get a cheaper AK that would do maybe just as good. Then though of the Wuffen Werks but been reading alot lately their quality has gone down the drain.

If you could spare a few minutes and help me out it would be greatly appreicated. I would like to get one and shoot the piss out of it and then later build a few as we all know firearms tend to mulitpile lol

Thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Welcome to the forum! On the contrary, much like every product there are going to be a few problems here and there, but otherwise I'd still highly recommend WaffenWerks rifles. They are a good product at good pricing, and are backed by warranties. As for the building part, keep in mind that it requires certain tooling, and the prices of the tooling equals out to the cost of another AK74 at times, so be prepared to build a few to get the money back. I've done about 7 builds so far and plan to keep going, it's a very addicting hobby. Tools can be found at www.ak-builder.com and www.tothtools.com so you can get some price estimates, and depending on what route you take, a 12or 20 press would be a good investment.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
Arsenal and Waffen Werks are known for quality firearms so don't let a few comments scare you away from them. My advice would be a converted Saiga IZ-240. Russian Mfg. with chrome lined barrel
that will eat surplus steel case ammo all day. I have zeroed the iron sights on two of these for friends and was impressed how accurate they were and trouble free. The converted IZ accepts AK 74
high cap mags of all types along with AK style pistol grip and butt stock. There is a side rail scope mount as well. Best to leave the FSB and GB alone and installed as received. The price is mid-range
of your choices and is available at Center Fire Systems and possibly other on line dealers.

Saiga 5.45x39 IZ-240 - 16" Barrel #SAI-545 HCCEN

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arsenal and Waffen Werks are known for quality firearms so don't let a few comments scare you away from them. My advice would be a converted Saiga IZ-240. Russian Mfg. with chrome lined barrel
that will eat surplus steel case ammo all day. I have zeroed the iron sights on two of these for friends and was impressed how accurate they were and trouble free. The converted IZ accepts AK 74
high cap mags of all types along with AK style pistol grip and butt stock. There is a side rail scope mount as well. Best to leave the FSB and GB alone and installed as received. The price is mid-range
of your choices and is available at Center Fire Systems and possibly other on line dealers.

Saiga 5.45x39 IZ-240 - 16" Barrel #SAI-545 HCCEN
But they already convert it and takes the fun out of it. I should have stated earlier. I have a lot of the tools now but not the speicalized tooling for AK's obiviously. I know I would get a itch to replace the FSB and GB so it would be more realistic of a AK74.

I was the other ak forum (ak files) and there were good bit of threads about the quality control. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get one from classic arms, they are in NC as well.
I do appericate the help guys!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Generally people prefer factory built guns with military barrels to the items cobbled together and sold in the mass market with US barrels. I suggest you ignore the strange comments in this thread and go with the SGL-31 rifles that Arsenal is selling. The key here is not buying anything with a barrel made in the US.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally people prefer factory built guns with military barrels to the items cobbled together and sold in the mass market with US barrels. I suggest you ignore the strange comments in this thread and go with the SGL-31 rifles that Arsenal is selling. The key here is not buying anything with a barrel made in the US.
why is US barrels so bad?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
There's nothing wrong with US barrels. There were hiccups when they first rolled out but for the most part were solved. If you want to buy a original barrel it'll be a bit more pricey, and there's nothing wrong with that, but don't walk away from this conversation thinking US barrels are bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There's nothing wrong with US barrels. There were hiccups when they first rolled out but for the most part were solved. If you want to buy a original barrel it'll be a bit more pricey, and there's nothing wrong with that, but don't walk away from this conversation thinking US barrels are bad.
I'm not, just was always curious as to why someone would want a used barrel vs a new one if all things are the same?? But this is due to my lackof knowledge with this weapon system.

looking at this one http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/ak74riflewuspartsw1magonly since I can't tell what mag they come with, I'm not sure if the package would be any good. I would replace the wood with black ploy.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/package-deals/ak74riflewusparts-1 or http://www.classicfirearms.com/package-deals/ak74riflewusparts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
US barrel's are kind a of unknown factor. I would prefer a combloc barrel. However, until the result's are in, I can't make a judgement. The US has been making M16 barrel's for fifty year's. And there chrome-lined.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Comes down to originality/newly made and pricing really. Yes the original barrels are harder, but when it comes down to haveing a rifle you'll take out to the range every couple months, you going to buy a 250+ barrel or a US made one for 100?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Comes down to originality/newly made and pricing really. Yes the original barrels are harder, but when it comes down to haveing a rifle you'll take out to the range every couple months, you going to buy a 250+ barrel or a US made one for 100?
If it is me..personally. I'll buy the which ever one gave me performance and was consistent. All my rifles and firearms are top quality that I wouldn't be afraid to take in to battle. I do run ALOT of classes and instructor. I do however know my limits when it comes to knowledge the AK being one of them. Love getting my feet wet in new material...learning is awesome. So is the firearm community

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I would just get the arsenal, you will be happier with it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It's hard argue with an Arsenal, it just how much you want to spend. I spent more money for a Colt AR because I intend to trust my life to it. On the other hand my WASR has been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
why is US barrels so bad?
Do three things:

1> Go on google and type: "cold hammer forged vs. button rifled barrels for military applications".
2> Use the search feature on this forum and type in "u.s. made ak74 barrels". There have been issue ranging from keyholing, to inaccurate dimensions.
3> Finally go on gunbroker and look at the resale value of units made with a US barrel, vs units made with a factory barrel.

best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Colt AR barrel's are button rifle'ed. If they'ed good enough for the military, I'd say they'er good enough for civilian's. That said, I'd still prefer an OEM barrel.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
I'm with BigSal on this one. A factory Arsenal/Legion rifle will hold its value and will have an original barrel. If you decide its not your cup of tea later on you won't lose your shirt on it...and it will be a known quality.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Colt AR barrel's are button rifle'ed. If they'ed good enough for the military, I'd say they'er good enough for civilian's. That said, I'd still prefer an OEM barrel.
They're also a lot easier to replace than an AK barrel.

Com Block barrels are hammer forged for longevity.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts