AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That you guys may find interesting. They have what appear to be Soviet or Cuban AKM rifles with scopes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yup they had/have a bunch of Soviet equipment. My stepfather was in Angola and he told me they had tons of Bakelite magazines and suppressors, he said they used them to go hunting. When I told him how much the bakelite mags were selling for he couldn't believe me lol.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
They are soviet. During the cold war, the reds were there setting up shop - only 90 miles from our coast... :neutral:

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I have quite a few photos showing Cuban AK's but these two show enough - look like Tula rifles:

But they also use/used East German MPiKM's:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rayman1 said:
I have quite a few photos showing Cuban AK's but these two show enough - look like Tula rifles:

Were Tula AKs the only ones in Cuba?

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Sorry - bit of cleaning in Photobucket apparently dissolved those photos.

Seems like most of the photos of the Cuban military feature what appears to be Tula-made AKM's. That certainly doesn't imply they don't have Izhevsk-made AKM's floating around. There's no telling what actions Russia had in terms of what factory to get the weapons from regarding their arms agreements with Cuba. Or even Cuba's agreements with third countries that receive/received weapons from Russia and eventually get them.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
unfortunatly i don't have the picture but i saw in a movie the cubans had or made black bakelite 30.cal mags, & this was long before any country made black mag's.[about 15 years ago ]

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rayman1 said:
Sorry - bit of cleaning in Photobucket apparently dissolved those photos.

Seems like most of the photos of the Cuban military feature what appears to be Tula-made AKM's. That certainly doesn't imply they don't have Izhevsk-made AKM's floating around. There's no telling what actions Russia had in terms of what factory to get the weapons from regarding their arms agreements with Cuba. Or even Cuba's agreements with third countries that receive/received weapons from Russia and eventually get them.
Do you know what kind of AKMs are in the first pic at the start of the thread? Tula or Izhevsk?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stottman said:
I have not seen much on it, but according to the Russians, the Cubans make their own AKMs.

If Egypt is a guide, they at least started with Tula parts, and used those as a guide.
I think that Cuba was late in the game when it came to manufacturing AKs. I suspect that they did so in the late '80s and '90s when Soviet military aid ceased.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know when Havana started to manufacture AKMs and do they still do so?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re:

rayman1 said:

Could you please repost these, if you don't mind?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I'm pretty sure none of these were Tula rifles or Tula parts. The wood on some of them is Cuban, it has a distinctive flat or squarish look to the sides with a very dark, olmost paint-like finish and fairly soft combs on the buttstocks. But the metal parts all look to be Izhevsk pattern, and many of the images show what appear to be totally Izhevsk rifles or made from Izhevsk parts kits, at least that's the way I see it.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Yeah, that is the true Cuban-assembled version, with Cuba wood on it. See the extra-flat sides on the buttstock wrist, and the almost paintlike finish of the wood? That one certainly does appear to have some very Tula looking metal parts on it, though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Awesome picture, is that magazine built by Izhmash or an Cuban made one ?
That is some unique looking wood on the rifle, never seen a detailed picture of this variation before.
Thank you very much for sharing the picture!

·
Registered
713 Posts
That looks to be a Russian mag. I also wouldn't be surprised if the rifle is just assembled in Cuba with Russian supplied parts. It would be nice to find out what town in Cuba makes these and how the factory was set up. It would answer a lot of questions.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd sure like to see a closer look/know what kind of scopes those are

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Scott, those are Cuban made "Vilma" collimators, named after Vilma Espin. revolutionary and late wife of Raul Castro.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts