AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forehead Head Chin Hand Arm

I updated this to Captain Picard because the other guy was getting old. But anyway, another US made AK from of all folks, DPMS.

Air gun Trigger Mesh Automotive exterior Gun barrel

Never thought that DPMS made good ARs, so I just wonder about this.

·
Registered
544 Posts
With genuine, mil-spec parts kits drying up, wonder what they put in all these new AK's?

·
Registered
192 Posts
JJE Capital owns DPMS, Palmetto State Armory, and various zombie pieces of Remington, but doesn't own Atlantic so far as I know.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I'm all for more US made AKs. Century has set the bar so low that the market is wide open for US companies. The problem is can they be made at a decent price and are they up to spec?

I'm not sure if this is the DPMS of old but I never had a problem with them. One of my favorites was the DPMS LR308. On a good day with handloads my Dad's LR could give my 700P a good run for it's money at distance if I was not on my game. I had to be careful not to let the old man beat me, I miss shooting with him.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A guy came into our LGS the other day telling them they sold him a defective AK mag and he wanted to swap out for a good one. Since I was there they asked me to look at it since I’m into AK’s. I took the bad
mag and popped into a ZPAP and no problem.

Asked him if he had the gun and he went out to the car and came back with a PSA AK. We loaded a dozen mags into the PSA and only 1 looked up. All 12 locked up and were tight in the ZPAP.

I showed him that the PSA magazine latch was made incorrectly. It was slanted, they must not have used a jig when drilling the pin holes because they were out of alignment by 1/16” or more. This slanted they top of the mag contact edge making the latch area to small to accept the lug of the mag.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
A friend of mine bought a dpms Ar many years ago and had nothing but problems with it. He soon nicknamed it Dumb Piece of Mother F$&@!? Sh!+. I just assumed thats what the acronym for dpms stood for. He sold it at a gun show to a dealer during the obama gun scare for twice what he had in it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also am glad more US companies are getting into the AK market, but like others here, Ive both heard negative things and had not so great experiences with American made Kalashnikov rifles......a few years back I bought an AK that was made by inter-ordnance and I wasnt impressed(and im pretty easily impressed)
My cousin Robbie has had a DPMS AR for years, and Ive shot it a few times and I liked shooting it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a DPMS AR for about 3 or 4 years, liked it and never had any issues. Sold it after I built a new AR with a Yankee Hill upper and another from a M16 A1 parts kit.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have had a few DPMS AR's in .223 and .380, and they were perfectly fine. They were just inexpensive, no frills guns, but they worked great for me. That's not to say that their AKs will be as good as the ARs, and I guess the jury is still out.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
JJE Capital / PSA bought out DDI for the AK design and parts info the company owned, now they have bought the DPMS name and and IP they owned.
I wonder what else they have planned?
Will all their AK's eventually be DPMS and the PSA name stays on the AR product line?
Sportsmans Warehouse bought the TAPCO name and IP, I have yet to see anything come out of that.

Richard

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! Everyone buying and selling companies like they are going out of style.

Can't tell the players without a scorecard.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Why someone would resurrect a defunct company/trademark that was known for barely acceptable quality for a new product line is baffling.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If they'd bring back the Tapco G2 FCG, they'd probably make enough to pay for their investment.
It just baffles me that they discontinued it when the ownership changed. Production was already set up and going, the name was well established, the product was known by just about every AK owner in the country, and the G2 was pretty much the benchmark at the time. It was a product that was basically selling itself, so it was a bad mistake to discontinue it IMO.

It was a successful product so I wouldn't be surprised if a bean counter decides to resurrect it under a different and cooler name, but then it will have to make the climb again. I'd be very happy if it came back on the market as "the classic G2", and whoever the owner is now wouldn't have to pay a dime for advertising.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a DPMS Oracle several years ago to use it as a base for building a custom AR. When I went to take the barrel and buffer tube off, I found they had used permanent loc-tite on them. I broke my buffer tube wrench trying to get it off. I bought a heavier one and used heat to get it off. There was white residue from the loc-tite on it. I never got the barrel nut off, although the heat turned the barrel nut a copper color. Instead of torquing the barrel and castle nuts, they just slathered loc-tite on them and called it good. BTW, this rifle was purchased NIB from a local shop.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
It just baffles me that they discontinued it when the ownership changed. Production was already set up and going, the name was well established, the product was known by just about every AK owner in the country, and the G2 was pretty much the benchmark at the time. It was a product that was basically selling itself, so it was a bad mistake to discontinue it IMO.

It was a successful product so I wouldn't be surprised if a bean counter decides to resurrect it under a different and cooler name, but then it will have to make the climb again. I'd be very happy if it came back on the market as "the classic G2", and whoever the owner is now wouldn't have to pay a dime for advertising.
My Zastava underfolder has the G2 trigger, I think it's great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts