AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if these rifles are build from matching parts or are they pieced together? I've read a lot of good things about HDI, and I'm sure that non matching AK's are just fine, but this will likely be my only AK and I want a great one.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is the one. I'm totally ignorant of the variants (I'm going to be doing a whole lot of reading here to fix that) but I can only go by what they have it listed as. So, is a Romy G kit a good thing?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Greetings,
As a FNG to the world of AK's,this is just my opinion.I have bought 7 AK's in 7 months,so I have the addiction bad! :bd: Out of the 7,including a AK74,5 are Romy's.3 are "G"kits.2 of the kits are matching.ALL of them are excellent buids and the all function well.I believe,and this is just me,that the shop that builds the weapon is the most important factor.I know for a fact,2 of the builds are on matching "G" KITS.These seem to be much more "smooth"in the way of the way the receiver cover fits and the parts drop back in.But,because the buider both parkerises and then coats the rifle with his proprietary finish may have a bearing on that.I think if you buy a HENDERSON DEFENSE rifle,you won't really care.These rifles are built with pride and they care about their reputation.I have a KREBS AK that cost me about $300.00 more.I can tell you right now,if I had bought one of the HENDERSON rifles first,I wouldn't have spent the $ on it.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
DAT85

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
henderson quality is top notch and they are great folks to work with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Henderson DOESN"T parkerise their rifles, befrore the Molycoat is applied,

I talked to them the other day while confirming my 74 build. They bead blast. Then apply and bake the finish. I was told their looking into adding a parkerising setup.

If I an wrong. Then I was misinformed by the person who took my credit card info. Not a lady, but a person in the shop

I also discussed having a build or 2 done by them. They have very reasonable rates. Their operation is top notch

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmmm,
I talked to Doug twice about my AKS-74N build, and he said that they
were parked, then Moly-coated?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies y'all. I'm guessing the only way to know for sure is to call the shop. I would prefer not to distract them from doing what we really want them to do... which is to build guns. But, I may have to give them a ring this week just to know for sure.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here is the low down on the finishing procedure. Doug is in the front office and seems to be confused about how they do it in the back.

The Romanian kits (all of them are matching) are stripped down and the original parkerizing is kept on the parts. The receiver is lightly bead blasted to give the Molyresin a "tooth" to adhere to.

The Bulgarian rifles were originally painted with an enamel paint. It comes right off and makes a nice purple puddle on the ground with brake cleaner. After stripping the paint, they are then lightly bead blasted because the surface is WAY to smooth to provide a good adhesive surface for the Molyresin.

Lastly, I have them spray in the inside of the receiver with semi-gloss before anything even gets riveted. I have them use the semi-gloss because it provides a slightly smoother surface than the mix we use and MUCH smoother surface than the flat black.

I apologize for any confusion on OUR part guys but this is how we do it.

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bzombie said:
Henderson DOESN"T parkerise their rifles, befrore the Molycoat is applied,

Gentlemen,
I hope my post didn't imply that I was saying that HENDERSON parked their rifles before the Molycoat was applied.I was speaking of another builder who does.When I spoke to the gentleman at HENDERSON before I ordered my AFGHAN EDITION,I asked him about the finish and he quite clearly told they dont park before the application.
I have heard so many good things about the company that it was worth buying it anyway,sight unseen.And,ya'know,I AM QUITE SATISFIED :dance: .
Doc,as soon as my cc heals up,I"ll be back for an AK74(if you have them)!
Regards,
dat85

·
Registered
259 Posts
To Parallel,

If you're going to buy just one, I would get the Afghan edition. I have the 101 synthetic (great quality-my avator) and a synthetic AKS-74.

But they all bow to the red wood AK-103R.

My order will be in soon Ron.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts