AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys... I got an M-48 from Phoenix GB. $106.

I got it today. Crown is perfect. Barrel has no pitting and deep rifling. All numbers match.

Problem? It has been drilled and tapped... or maybe it isn't a problem. On the receiver, surrounding the holes, there are oval circles of patina... basically, a scope mount WAS there, and it wasn't in the past 15 years. The blue around the screws is pretty nice, then the ring of patina and then wear. There was definitely a mount there and it wasn't there for a short period. Plus, this just came in through an importer, and the holes had some rust and a LOT of cosmo in them. This was not done in the US.

The issue is, the bolt is bent but when you open it the bolt handle still would hit a scope. The scope would either have to be short, mounted really high, or the bolt body was changed out and the rifle got a new bolt that was numbered to it.

So... any way to tell if it is original by markings? If this sounds correct (I know the Balkans used what they had and made what they didn't, but still) as far as the rifle goes then where can I find a scope and mount that is correct and will work?

I do not want a Mauser sporter... I do not want a fake sniper... but this thing looks like it was definitely a DMR at some time in its life and I mean for the military it was issued within. I want to bring it back to its original configuration with the proper parts. I just need help finding out what the configuration is and what those parts are.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks like this, but with no mount or screws on it:

http://www.gunsonthenet.com/Auction/Vie ... =106118165

For the front base, one screw hole is through the 4 in M-48 and one is through the crest.

Where can I find the real/proper Yugo made mounts and scopes that would have been used on this rifle? I know Zrak is still in business, do they make reproductions or sell old inventory/surplus scopes?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
I want to bring it back to its original configuration with the proper parts. I just need help finding out what the configuration is and what those parts are.
Looking through the below links, the M48 sniper used a ZRAK 4x32 (ON-76) scope. Maybe there is some help here comparing the layout on the gun you have -

http://riflechair.netfirms.com/marstar/k98k.htm

http://www.texastradingpost.com/yugosniper/m48sniper.html

http://artofwar.ru/img/w/waleckij_o_w/yyug050/snajperm69.jpg

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PA shows everything on backorder. Does anyone know their price? Are they good to deal with?

Second, looking at that website, the scope screws have one above the crest and one below it. On my rifle, it is one below the crest and one in the middle of it... so they are closer together. Which means it may have been for the EAW mount... anyone know where I can buy one? Anywhere?

I will probably call PA anyway to see if there is a possibility the mount will fit... but still...

ETA: Anyone sell this type of mount, apparently made by Zrak and Mauser? It says still in production by Zrak... that is the type of mount my rifle takes, apparently. Or are these just the rear bases? Going by picture it looks that mine takes the EAW mount but I looked on the New England site and didn't see one for the Yugo Mauser.

http://www.texastradingpost.com/yugosniper/DSC06094.JPG

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
red_metallic said:
[quote="Q-gunner2":2tzf392m]

Which means it may have been for the EAW mount... anyone know where I can buy one? Anywhere?
This link to EAW was somewhat hidden on the Yugo sniper page -

http://www.eaw.de/eaw/index_uk.php/item/296

Sounds like you got a very cool rifle for not a lot of cake.

Nice![/quote:2tzf392m]

I looked earlier and couldn't find a link for the EAW mount to fit a M-48 Mauser and none of the mounts looked like the one in the pictures. Do I have to call them or what?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
I looked earlier and couldn't find a link for the EAW mount to fit a M-48 Mauser and none of the mounts looked like the one in the pictures. Do I have to call them or what?
EAW is in Germany, I'd start with email.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone here own one of these rifles? I was thinking of posting a picture of the scope areas to get some extra insight on what mount is the most likely one.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I've been cleaning it. The barrel irritates me... I wish these were chrome lined.

It looks great, but I keep getting dirty patches. I heated the stock and got out the cosmo and rubbed a little teak oil in the stock too so it looks nicer. I will try to get pics up as soon as she's back together... I just need the damn scope mount and scope.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Well, I've been cleaning it. The barrel irritates me... I wish these were chrome lined.

It looks great, but I keep getting dirty patches. I heated the stock and got out the cosmo and rubbed a little teak oil in the stock too so it looks nicer. I will try to get pics up as soon as she's back together... I just need the damn scope mount and scope.
Don't make the mistake I always do which is decide I need something RIGHT NOW! I end paying way too much. Start haunting gunboard's classifieds & maybe even make a call to Sarco & Numrich. You just never know.

As an aside, the optics do make the gun. The correct scope & mount on my MAS 49/56 is worth well more than the rifle itself. In other words, if you do find the right pieces, you likely won't lose if you decide to bail on the project as you are into the rifle so right. Heck, you can probably 2X or 3X what you have into it now to someone who is looking to get an M48 sniper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts