AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here and new to AKs. I bought a MAK90 a while back. It's the sporter rifle sans evil parts. I had done enough research to know its a quality rifle but not enough to learn all about 922r compliance. I specifically asked the shop owner about swapping the thumbhole stock and he said it would be no trouble and that any AK stock would fit.

Of course Iater I learned the MAKs are a little different animal. Luckily mine is a straight cut receiver. Still researching what works and what doesn't has been a bit of a headache. I'm super excited to have found this Chinese specific forum. So my questions are as follows.

1. The MAK triggers are supposed to be great so if I want to keep the fcg where do I compensate with other US made parts?

2. Is it possible to thread the MAK barrel for a brake?

3. Does anyone like the hogue AK grip and hand guard and will they work on the MAK?

4. Will the popular Vltor buffer tube work on the MAK?

5. Anyone like the ultimak rail/gas tube and which one does the MAK need?

Mine is a stamped receiver. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback! I'm learning a lot here already!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Welcome to the group!

1) Instead of replacing that great trigger, carry a US made mag with the rifle so if ATF asks if it is compliant, you can show them the three US parts in the mag. Likelihood of happening, play in a thunderstorm, get struck by lightning twice.

2) if the barrel diameter is .55 or so it can be threaded to the standard 14x1mm left hand AK thread. If it measures .50 or so it can be threaded to 1/2x28 standard US right hand. There are slant brakes in the 1/2x28 if that is your desire.

3) Hogue grip will work, but any furniture designed for European rifles will have to be filed or sanded to fit the thicker metal receivers that the Chinese used.

4) don't know. :)

5) never tried one :)

If you go with a Chinese stock, or an Ironwood set made for the Norinco, you will not have any fitment issues. If you go with any European stock parts they will have to be filed or sanded to fit the Chinese receiver. It is possible if you don't mind playing with the parts, and only take off a little at a time so you don't overdo it.

Your best bet for 922(r) compliance, as well as Title 27 CFR 478.39 (same thing in a different place just to waste paper) is to use a US stock set for 3 parts, a US muzzle device and that US made magazine. Just remember, it is not how many US parts you have, but that you have no more than 10 imported parts. That could make the difference between having an angelic peace loving sporting rifle, and a baby killing "assault rifle". Stupid? You bet, but hey, it's our government.

If you thread the barrel, your MAK-90 will have 16 countable parts.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
For me SOP is to replace the piston. Easiest AK work you can do. Locate the pin, drive or drill it out. Thread new one in, back it off a turn, drill the new hole through the new piston and pin it. Most of us use a nail as a replacement pin. Will outlast the shooter.

I refuse to use compliance parts in a magazine. If I go out shooting I want to be able to use any magazine I want to use without compliance fears.

Options;

FCG- Personally I don't see enough difference between the stock FCG and a Tapco replacement to warrant messing with magazines. Most of us on this forum use the Tapco FCG
Hogue grip- Will be a US part but not one I'd use. Check out Ironwood Designs IWDHome . They make compliance furniture that looks as it should. You can grab US made furniture that is made to resemble Chinese. Check out our resident wood finishing god, Z-Recto, and see if he can finish the wood to look like it should. The ultimate question though is whether your receiver rear has been cut or not. Take a pic and post it. That will dictate what stock to buy. Anyway, use of Ironwood furniture will get you 3 compliance parts if you use the full set.

Are you looking for a shooter with no regard for historical accuracy? If so there are a couple of options on the muzzle. If you want it to be historically correct it shouldn't be threaded.

Many who deban want to add a bayonet capability as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks guys! That helps a lot a confirms a lot if what i was thinking. I mainly just want a solid shooter with reliable parts. I'll look into the Ironwood Stuff. Thanks again!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Like Dave mentioned. The Tapco G2 FCG is an easy 3 US parts, and you won't be able to tell that much of a difference between it and the Chinese. They are both smooth as silk.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Are you wanting to go tactical or original style with it? If tactical, your US stock/handguard choice and Magpul mags make you legal. If original look is what you want, a color matching US buttstock and pistol grip with a Tapco FCG lets you use original mags. Since the muzzle is unthreaded you don't need a 6th part. If you thread, a US muzzle device is needed. Not all Chinese muzzles were threaded. If it originally had a spike bayonet it probably wasn't threaded. The front site base will be longer if it had one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts