AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I emailed Arsenal last week through an address on their website, but have not heard back. I am trying to track down whether there were different finishes used on military AK74s made at the Kazanlak factory, or if there is only a single "correct" finish. I dont know if current Arsenal production is the same or not, but I dont have an example to grab to compare. I hope they respond, but they may not know definitively about production from 20+ years ago. So I wanted to see what people here think too.

I have this cut receiver and I am trying to match a Nodak NDS2 to it. I have heard people say paint over park is correct and others say paint over a media-blast is correct and I cant really tell which of those this is. The only guns I have owned that were parked (that I can recall, at least) were Vz52 pistols and Vz52 rifles, neither of which were painted over park and besides I cant make a side by side comparison because they arent around anymore. Thoughts on this? Is it parked?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My guess is paint over media blast...just an opinion.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
No guessing is neccessary on the parkerizing, it is a zinc phosphate parkerizing then an alcohol based black paint. Exactly what that paint is, other then being alcohol soluable is still a mystery, it is similiar if not the same as what is used by Russian arsenals. The zinc phosphate is mostly what causes the texture effect to the paint on Bulgy and Russian AKs and first blasting the surface would help with that texture as well as helping the zinc bond to the metal as well as the paint. I look forward to someone having the paint analyzed to find a way to duplicate the paint but it is not that durable compared to many other modern paints especially the baked epoxy types so only a serious collector would use it . In my opinion the only problem with using a tougher paint is that it will not wear off authentically with use, but most users would prefer it not to wear at all.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
To do it the "authentic" way, you'll assemble and then finish. As much as I like being authentic, I prefer to do it right. I'd park each part, assemble and then paint. It won't really make a difference in my environment, but I just can't stand cutting corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts