AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on three Romanian kits. Each slightly different than the next and all obtained from great deals. For one kit I would like to fit a side scope mount and scope. What should I get and how do I know where to drill the reciever and what size rivets to use.

Also it seems like there is alot of G bashers out there so am I just waisting my time fitting a scop due to lack of accuracy?

Lastly I have considered fitting an underfold stock to one kit. Where would I get the parts needed, how difficult, what origin parts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Your Romanian G will probably be more accurate than you, unless the bore is damaged. That's extremely unlikely, since most of them were for schoolkids to practice cleaning. My wife grew up in Havana, and she went through those classes in small arms and political indoctrination every week. The Romanian G's I've seen (about 200 now) have almost all had beautiful bores, and have all been really accurate out to 300 yards - the limit of my ranges.

The Romanian G bashers are probably the same people who were bashing Polish Tantals two years ago, and who would now give their firstborn child for one. Some have reported canted sights, but I have never seen one. Some guys put a laser measuring thingee on one of mine and proved the sight was canted, then I took them out to the range and smacked a 12" steel plate at 200 yards 26 out of 30 times over those canted sights. I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder.

As for the underfolder, you'll need a stock trunnion to fit your underfolder stock. The only ones I know of are sold by Florida Gun Works, and everybody says they're horrible, stealing guys' money and keeping their kits, but they did me square and sold me two of the trunnions which are not only well made, but they're tighter than a duck's ass. Hardly any wobble to the stock at all. Each one cost me about $80. The stock you can get pretty commonly. Remember though to not get a Yugoslavian stock and trunnion, because the trunnion will be too narrow for a Romanian receiver.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I cannot remember the shim size but you can buy shim stock and put it in between the receiver and trunnion and they will work with no problems. You can pick up shim stock at places like McMaster Carr, MSC industrial or your local machine shop may have some laying around.

I have several G rifles built and even with the canted parts on some of them they are great shooters. If you are wanting to put an underfolder stock on one of them your best bet is to try and find one in the for sale sections on here as well as other forums. They seem to be going quick lately. I would suggest getting one that NoDak makes a receiver for. It is not impossible to cut a regular receiver, flat or blank for one but it can easily be screwed up.

·
Registered
491 Posts
rail

I have an old beater Romy that accompanies me in the truck a lot. I decided to add a scope rail. I decided the easiest way to do it was......um.....well, I welded it to the receiver. Just a plug weld thru the rivet holes. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts