AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
Due to the new CT AWB, getting a VZ58 is now impossible for me.
However, there is a little hope. Since the 58 can be fed from top via charger clips, if I could come up with a method of fixing a 10 round mag in place, it would be legal with all it's features!
The good news is the law requires that the magazine only be removable by disassembling the action, so the mag doesn't have to be permanently attached to the receiver. I just have to come up with something a local gunsmith can do (since I must have it transferred to an FFL to even get it into the state), or find someone out of state to modify the rifle.
My first idea is to remove the mag catch, and weld or pin a plug in the mag catch side of the receiver hole. I would change the pin to a long Allan screw to come in from the other side to hold in the bolt hold open. I would then come up with a block that holds the back tang of the 10 round mag, and drill and tap the receiver, mag tang and block to have a screw come in from the inside of the receiver to hold it all in place. Done!
Any comments, ideas?
I would like to request assistance with two other things:
1) If anyone has a chunk of receiver that has the mag catch area intact for R&D, I would appreciate if they could send/sell it to me (all at my expense of course). Yes, I know I am asking for the part that usually is not included in the kits, but it's worth a shot!
2) If someone has a damaged VZ58 magazine, that I can convert into a 10 rounder (or a source for 10 round mags), I would also appreciate if I could buy that off you. I would request that you hack saw off the portion of the mag body to make it legal to send to CT.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys
Due to the new CT AWB, getting a VZ58 is now impossible for me.
However, there is a little hope. Since the 58 can be fed from top via charger clips, if I could come up with a method of fixing a 10 round mag in place, it would be legal with all it's features!
The good news is the law requires that the magazine only be removable by disassembling the action, so the mag doesn't have to be permanently attached to the receiver. I just have to come up with something a local gunsmith can do (since I must have it transferred to an FFL to even get it into the state), or find someone out of state to modify the rifle.
My first idea is to remove the mag catch, and weld or pin a plug in the mag catch side of the receiver hole. I would change the pin to a long Allan screw to come in from the other side to hold in the bolt hold open. I would then come up with a block that holds the back tang of the 10 round mag, and drill and tap the receiver, mag tang and block to have a screw come in from the inside of the receiver to hold it all in place. Done!
Any comments, ideas?
I would like to request assistance with two other things:
1) If anyone has a chunk of receiver that has the mag catch area intact for R&D, I would appreciate if they could send/sell it to me (all at my expense of course). Yes, I know I am asking for the part that usually is not included in the kits, but it's worth a shot!
2) If someone has a damaged VZ58 magazine, that I can convert into a 10 rounder (or a source for 10 round mags), I would also appreciate if I could buy that off you. I would request that you hack saw off the portion of the mag body to make it legal to send to CT.
Thanks!
Just so you are aware, the Freedom Shoppe in New Milford has been selling VZ58s with pinned 10rd magazines since the ban has passed. I am unsure of their price, but it may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just so you are aware, the Freedom Shoppe in New Milford has been selling VZ58s with pinned 10rd magazines since the ban has passed. I am unsure of their price, but it may be worth looking into.
Yes, I have been there and held the rifle they offer in my hand. Not to say anything bad about Mad and Vic, but the price is a bit more than I am willing to spend. Also, I believe I have a better solution to make the rifle compliant then they have implemented.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts