AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 5.56 long barrel version Saiga 10 years ago and did the conversion work myself right after I brought it home and the parts kit showed up. Took it apart and started removing all the guts and welds and then I saw that the front sight is crooked to about 11oclock and then I noticed the entire rear sight block is crooked to 1oclock. I assumed that because I did all this work no one would do any repair or trade it out so I kept working on it until completed. It does function and shooting with it is alright except not being able to aim it. I got fed up and left it in a box until a time I could figure out what to do with it and figured why not now with all the gun hysteria. Can any of this even be fixed? The front sight looks like it's pinned and bolted on but the rear seems to be embedded and part of the gun itself. I don't want this project to turn into a money pit and if I'm going to be spending a lot of money for these fixes I'd rather sell it.

Cliffs-
Bought a Saiga 10 years ago
Immediately went to DIY conversion
Halfway through conversion realized both sights were crooked in opposite directions (bad luck how it arrived from factory)
Shooting is terrible as you can't really aim it
Gave up on it and put in a box for 5 years
Reviving it now because guns are "important" 2020/2021
Can it be fixed or better off selling it

·
Registered
929 Posts
That should be a pretty easy fix I have seen Romanian guns that had farm more issues. you should be able to drive out the pins usually from left to the right and readjust the front sight. drill the holes again and then shove the pins back in. You may want to swap the site for a military site at the same time. You will need a press likely to do the work though. With the price of saigas these days I doubt you would loos any money if you got the tools and did it your self. But you may be further ahead just selling it. I am sure someone would buy it for a conversion. Also the rear sight block should have a pin also can you post side pictures with closeups on the rear sight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello to everyone else I'm glad to have found this site.
Here are more pictures. I can see what drive out some pins mean for the front sight. I looked at some alternative open sights but they would all utilize that rear block so if anything is put there it will be crooked as well. As far as buying other sights a red dot and holo all show a blurred red tangle of lines in my eyes so no go there. I want to learn how to use the sights which I'm not going to learn if they are in opposite directions.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
The rear sight block pin will be behind the front hand guard. You can see were the pin hole is on this rear sight block It will be in the same place on yours.

Search results for: 'rear sight block sight block' (apexgunparts.com)

this is a great punch set for removing the pins one the sight blocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info and thanks all for the help. I'll probably also take it to a gunsmith and get their word on it too. I'm not desperate for cash but it is tempting to sell it and get a newer nicer AK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts