AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 1.6 mm armory USA receiver over 5 years ago and have decided to use it with a all matching Polish AKM kit. It’s been a complex build so far and is also a rust bluing project as well. Fitting has been quite a to do. Though I still have a little grittiness towards the end of the bolt carrier travel it is feeling pretty good. I was wondering about heat treat? I’ve read that 1.6 mm Armory USA receivers are fully treated to begin with but is this through and through or is it a full surface heat treat? After riveting together the receiver, trimming fitting the rails, ejector and mag well I’m getting close to doing rust bluing cycles and need to know wether I need to spot heat treat my axis pin holes and ejector? Any knowledge and advice about doing a build with a 1.6 mm Armory USA receiver would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks from Ohio!

So I think, from talking to some others, that I shouldn’t have to heat treat axis pin holes. I also figured out that I may have taken a little too much off my ejector; maybe like 1 mm. Really hard to tell if cycling and ejecting rounds will be better after pressing in the barrel and having the gas tube as a guide. Going tomorrow to a welder to get a couple hard drops on it. Hopefully I should then be able too reshape the ejector. I’m told a lot of the time if a part is hardened, not only will the weld on it generally be harder than the part, but it also has a tendency to float any hardening to the surface.

ill post what I find out and results after I go tomorrow...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the weld done and reshaped. Of course it would look better if I didn’t have a reason to do it in the first place but I’m happy with it and better than that it ejects correctly.

6C2F7627-FC8B-495F-B606-21C6236C99F1.jpeg
FDC318A0-67F8-4032-90C0-34755066D5A9.jpeg
DC160010-F3D2-489B-87A2-ABBBB3676301.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts