AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received most of the stuff I ordered from Andrei (exciting news!!) and one of the grips is pretty scratched up. :neutral: It's an old shiny plum Krink grip so I accept the situation. I'm wondering..........have any of you ever polished these or rubbed them out with any great success. I have all kinds of tools, buffers, etc., but I ain't gonna touch this thing unless I know someone's done it and it's WORKED!!!! :confused:

I remember screwing with a Romy grip once and dicovered there were WOOD chips IN the plastic and there's NO way to make that look pretty again! :goof:

Anyone?? :cool:

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I'll try a polish one this weekend and see how it works. It should do fine. Just go slow RPM wise and use lots of fine compound. Thats the reason I have a mini buffer works great on small stuff. I've buffed plexi, paint, glass and polished out stainless with it.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
One of my Polish UF kits in otherwise outstanding condition came with a totally scuffed up hand grip. Looks like it was used as a dog toy!
I see it as a sign to get a set of those great walnut grip and foregrip sets from Ironwood.
Anybody try to checker one of those walnut handgrips? Just seems wrong to leave it smooth.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem here guys is that this is a collectable Tula manufactured PLUM grip. Krylon?? :shock: I'm looking for previously used methods on polishing scratches out of Russian "plastic/bakelite" (and I use the term plastic loosely). :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I would try wet sanding first with say 500grit then go to 1000grit, or maybe start with 000 steel wool then go to 0000. As far as a polishing compound i would think it would make it too shiney. Years ago i got anal on my bike and polished off all the SAE numbers off the tail light lenses and i used the wet sanding process and it came out looking factory, i even went as far as polishing out all the casting marks on the brake calipers. The bike was a Ducati 916. McM

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmmmmm...........Ducati. :cool:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You might try a plastic polish like for motorcycle windshields.
I have used aircraft canopy cleaner with pretty good results before.

G

·
0 Posts
I've made some bakelite pistol grips look better with a plastic polish.

One thing I have seen on some websites but haven't done myself. Guys took the red bakelite type pistol grips from makarov pistols, the ones with the red star and checkering. They sanded them down to get the star and checkering off of the grip and then buffed them out on a wheel with a rubbing or polishing compound. Ended up with marbeled looking pistol grip with all the checkering gone.

I'm not saying that you should do this to your pistol grip and that it will work, but with a very fine grit sand paper and then buffing with a wheel you may be able to get rid of scratches and imperfections. If it is just light scratches and dull rub areas I would just try buffing with a plastic polish first.

I've used plastic polish from Meguires(?) for a plastic convertible window that was scratched and it buffed the scratches out pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts