AK Rifles banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends thought he was being smart by cramming paper into the bottom of my bayonet sheathe. I got most of it out, but there's still some crammed in where the tip of the blade goes. I don't really have anything that is strong, long, and narrow enough to fit down into the middle of it. I tried for hours...

Is there anything I can pour into it that will dissolve the paper? It's one of the newer bulgarian bayonet sheathes. Any other suggestions?

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Take a old cleaning rod or just a small steel rod. Get one end cherry red hot by sticking it into a fire. The stick hot end into teh sheath, this should burn the rest out. Just made sure it's a metal sheath. :wink:

Crap, I should have read that you do not have a metal sheath. Have you tried something like a dental pick?

· Registered
3,098 Posts
I had a bunch of cloth jammed in the sheath of a turkish bayo once. Granted, that is probably harder to remove than paper but what I did was drop the sheath in boiling water until it loosened up and I could maneuver it out with a cleaning rod. I would try the same if I were you. I don't think boiling water would harm the sheath.

· Registered
774 Posts
INFANTRY said:
Take a old cleaning rod or just a small steel rod. Get one end cherry red hot by sticking it into a fire. The stick hot end into teh sheath, this should burn the rest out. Just made sure it's a metal sheath. :wink:

Crap, I should have read that you do not have a metal sheath. Have you tried something like a dental pick?
a length of small gauge welding wire like from a mig welder would be perfect with a very tight hook bent in the end. much smaller and easier to bend than a wire clothes hanger.

· Registered
3,373 Posts
I think your buddy needs to get on a springboard to a better sense of humor.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried a coat hanger and soaking in hot bath water. Its jammed down in there pretty good and not coming out. Small bits and pieces come out once in awhile, but I can't tell that it makes a difference.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
Kilryth said:
I've tried a coat hanger and soaking in hot bath water. Its jammed down in there pretty good and not coming out. Small bits and pieces come out once in awhile, but I can't tell that it makes a difference.
Use the part of the coat hanger that looks like a cork screw when you unravel it. Sharpen the end.

· Registered
677 Posts
HAHA I used the same method to remove the cosmoline from a wasr bayonet sheath and I finally got it out by using a coat hanger. For whatever reason I had CLP down there - but I think that was from me trying to clean the gunk out of it

· Registered
3,880 Posts
BLindeye_03 said:
HAHA I used the same method to remove the cosmoline from a wasr bayonet sheath and I finally got it out by using a coat hanger. For whatever reason I had CLP down there - but I think that was from me trying to clean the gunk out of it
When I first got Romanian AK bayonets, I used propanol to remove the cosmoline. It even got everything bone dry, no oil whatsoever.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
I have a rock in the bottom of a bayonet sheath that I never have been able to get out. it is some weird, long bayonet from a French rifle or something. It's almost 3 feet long. Anyway it has a metal sheath with a rock wedged in the bottom that prevents the blade from going in all the way. I might just have to drill a small hole and hit it out with a punch.

Back to your problem. I suggest using a dental pick as well, although it may not be long enough to reach the bottom. I guess I would also try pouring some sort of solvent in the sheath and let it soak. BTW, sulfuric acid dissolves paper, but it might also melt your plastic. Too bad he didn't jam paper in a metal sheath

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jonpo said:
I have a rock in the bottom of a bayonet sheath that I never have been able to get out. it is some weird, long bayonet from a French rifle or something. It's almost 3 feet long. Anyway it has a metal sheath with a rock wedged in the bottom that prevents the blade from going in all the way. I might just have to drill a small hole and hit it out with a punch.

Back to your problem. I suggest using a dental pick as well, although it may not be long enough to reach the bottom. I guess I would also try pouring some sort of solvent in the sheath and let it soak. BTW, sulfuric acid dissolves paper, but it might also melt your plastic. Too bad he didn't jam paper in a metal sheath
I thought it was plastic, but it is actually metal. My bad! :) I realized this when it sank in the bathtub, haha. It's pretty thick and light for metal. Anyhow, what are some common household chemicals with sulfuric acid?

· Registered
834 Posts
I suggest using an air-compressor (preferably one that can do >3 cfm at >50 psi) and a small nozzle (ball-inflator, or dust-blowing tip, or similar). Shoot the air down into one side of the sheath opening, and be prepared for paper gunk to fly out of what remains of the opening.

Good luck, and be safe/use common sense.

-otus

EDIT to say that Great Minds Think Alike HobbyMachinist!!

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
otus said:
I suggest using an air-compressor (preferably one that can do >3 cfm at >50 psi) and a small nozzle (ball-inflator, or dust-blowing tip, or similar). Shoot the air down into one side of the sheath opening, and be prepared for paper gunk to fly out of what remains of the opening.

Good luck, and be safe/use common sense.

-otus
Unfortunately I don't have an air compressor. :(

· Registered
3,540 Posts
Kilryth said:
jonpo said:

I thought it was plastic, but it is actually metal. My bad! :) I realized this when it sank in the bathtub, haha. It's pretty thick and light for metal. Anyhow, what are some common household chemicals with sulfuric acid?
In that case I would try some heat as mentioned earlier or keep scraping away with a bent hanger. Maybe pour some acetone of something in there. Just thinking of things I might try

The sulfuric acid has to be more concentrated than you would find in something around the house. i just remember one time spilling some sulfuric acid in chemistry class and it melted through my notebook. I guess that comment was not very helpful. Sorry

· Banned
2,307 Posts
easy solution, make your "friend" buy you a new bayo and then smack him upside the head for being a dumbass.

seriously though, I'd just put some oil in there and let it soak, even if it takes days it should dissolve it eventually.

· Registered
453 Posts
When I got my TT-33 for Christmas I tried to put it in its holster but was not able to because there was paper inside the holster...I used the cleaning rod to get it out when I did....it happend to be some young Romanian kids school work...lol there were red correction marks all over it :grin:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.