AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned how to ID Combloc surplus steel magazines, but still have no clue on how to identify country of origin for AK cleaning kits and cleaning rods. Any resource, references, or guidelines will be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What I know is:
AKM Cleaning rods have a slot milled in them for a cloth patch to clean the barrel & no patch attachment in cleaning kit
The original milled rec AK47 cleaning rod does not have that slot in it..... and they would include a slotted patch attachment in the cleaning kit.
Some cleaning Jags have built in swivel. (Russian?) Most are just solid
Yugo rifles (which dont have chrome lined barrels) have kits with brass Jags and slotted patch holders, also the brush base is brass.

As you can see, I am at second grade cleaning kit level. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I know is:
AKM Cleaning rods have a slot milled in them for a cloth patch to clean the barrel & no patch attachment in cleaning kit
The original milled rec AK47 cleaning rod does not have that slot in it..... and they would include a slotted patch attachment in the cleaning kit.
Some cleaning Jags have built in swivel. (Russian?) Most are just solid
Yugo rifles (which dont have chrome lined barrels) have kits with brass Jags and slotted patch holders, also the brush base is brass.

As you can see, I am at second grade cleaning kit level. :cool:
No, I think you are at the Master’s level! I really appreciate the information you provided. Cleaning rods with a slot for patch vs without one was exactly the reason why I started to pay more attention to them. Some of the images I linked in my previous post also show different machining of those patch slots. Highly interesting! Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts