AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1997, after the ban, I purchased a Polytech Legend National Match (Pre-Ban) from Gulf State Firearms (at one time, a very reputable dealer). This firearm is marked National Match on the milled receiver. However, it has a short barrel, similar to an AKM/AKS. I have heard that some people have seen short barrel variants of the national match. I am trying to find out how this rifle came to be....1) it was intentional from the factory, that is, a rare variant, 2) it was a mistake at the factory, that is, they built a Legend using a National Match receiver, or 3) someone bought a national match legend and hated the barrel length and paid a very skilled gunsmith A LOT OF MONEY to do a conversion. If you know anything about this rifle, let me know as I have been trying to solve this mystery for years. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try to have pics up by tomorrow. Suppose Keng's could track serial number to import records? Wouldn't that list barrel length?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I agree that a call to the Kengs would be worth a try, but I do remember reading about a hand full of "short barrel" National Match marked rifles imported. After speaking with the Keng family myself many years back, I came to the conclusion that the Chinese would make anything the Kengs asked for as they attempted to find what would sell in the land of shall not be infringed. It is unfortunate that Bush1 had his evil looking weapon fit before the Chinese and the Kengs were able to find out.

Also knowing how well the Kengs kept records, the chance of finding an actual number of 16 inch barrel Legend National Match rifles will be slim to none.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More good info...thanks. I'm gaining confidence that this is not a gunsmith hack job. It's a beautiful rifle. Only fired one mag through it and there she sits. My friend claims his sam7R is a better rifle, but I tend to disagree.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I've never seen one of the NM rifles with a standard length barrel. You guys that have, do they all have this unusually deep step behind the front sight base?

This is a pic from the link. Looks like a long barrel turned down rather than a standard, 16.25" barrel profile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, mine is identical with the pronounced step. It also appears that they turned down the cleaning rod and re-threaded it so that it fits the configuration. Unusual. I bought it for $500. They had two. Should have bought both. My loss. Came with three chrome follower Poly mags and an extra set of brand new blond furniture. Still have the furniture.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Very interesting variant.

I never understood why they tried to market a "National Match" (Lol) long-barrel in the first place. All the American gun guys ever wanted was a bone-stock, miltary-style AK. Instead they came up with fantasy pieces like the NM.

Maybe they finally got the message and started modifying already built rifles before shipping them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There can't be very many like this. I have been combing all the sites, auctions, and gun shows for years and never see them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
They did make a handful of these 16" national match. They were in the possession of the Keng family tho. Even tho of the ones i have seen, they all had the spiker installed too.
But like what someone said above is so true, the Chinese would make any crazy variant to see if it would work in the US market. So there are some weird ones out there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
From what i remember back then when these were coming in.......The longer Barrel NM rifles were simply not great sellers, much like the RPK's...........i have to look and see if i have any paperwork on these...

For Some reason i think Mr. Keng would remember these....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts