AK Rifles banner

Help! My toth tool barrel install/removal rods freaking bent!

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  markerbeacon 
#1 ·
Today my toth tool barrel install.removal rtool arrived along with the bolt cutter rivet squeezer. I set up the tool exactly as shown in the demonstration video: nu t on each side of the rod, the blovks, then a nut behind each to keep them firm. Then the block for the ratcheting, I placed the brass piece into the barrel, put the two nuts behind the ratcheting block, and placed the whole unit with my trunnion/barrel into a vice. The barrel pin was knocked out already. It got tight when ratcheting, then the freaking rods BENT on me! Now the tool is useless, what happened? I'm a little irked right now to say the least. Also, is an indentation supposed to be in the breech/slightly tapered or did I just screw up my barrel?

#6 ·
Pics? I don't remember the name of who made my barrel removal tool, it supports the barrel/trunnion in a shop press and I used a solid piece of brass to press out my barrels...

#8 ·
Off to work but I'll take some pictures when I get back. Seriously irked. I set it up exactly as they show in the demonstartion video. Any word on the taper/dent in the breech? That's supposed to be there right?

#9 ·
I pushed/pulled tons of barrels with this rig (before I had room for the press). It is super solid. Your barrel might be seized up. Is it an original barrel? Did you originally install it? If so did you use antiseize?

post pictures of your exact setup and the "taper" you were talking about.

#12 ·
Taping the trunnion while pulling the barrel out might help it.

If the "taper or dent" is what I think your talking about, on the right side, then that's from the tool itself. You gotta watch it as if it gets too close to the barrel it will leave marks on it replacating a galled barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.