AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put together a "turn-key" long term storage kit to sell on the website. I understand that many prospective customers will already have some of this, but I think its good to make it easy for those who don't.

- 1 Year supply of food. Combination of Mountain House Entrees and desserts along with some grains/beans etc from another vendor.
- Berkey Water Filter system
- Sawyer .02 Micron water filter for prefilter/portable applications
- Family First Aid Kit
- ?????

I look forward to any feedback.

Rob

· Registered
2,728 Posts
Re: Help me put together a comprehesive "turn-key" storage k

Maybe toss in some of the "long burning/lasting" type candles. For any extended SHTF type scenario batteries will go pretty fast....OR some type of multifuel lanterns.

· Registered
4,405 Posts

I think you might have better sales if you sold these "kits" in a 1 month and 3 month kit. More affordable for most, easier to store, JMO.

Maybe add one of those weather radio's that do not require batteries. First aid supplies, blankets, fuel stadilizers, one of the Mossberg 500's with a pistol grip that comes in a can. :grin:

· Registered
1,307 Posts

I would add some firestarters, one of these and some of these. I know the Berkey is great, but I would also add a Katadyn base camp and the Katadyn Hiker Pro which uses the same filter. A dozen cayalume sticks, some good cheap led flashlights, a good multitool and a decent fixed blade knife. If you get the Seal Pup with the nylon sheath, there is a pouch on the sheath for the multi-tool. I'd add a case of MRE's which would get a family of 4 a few days before they they have to start cooking.

Just my .02.

joedog

· Registered
1,578 Posts

Does anyone know if cyalume sticks have a shelf date? And if so is it a sales pitch or a real break down of the two fluids over time.

· Registered
4,405 Posts

cfish said:
Does anyone know if cyalume sticks have a shelf date? And if so is it a sales pitch or a real break down of the two fluids over time.

yes, they do. They last for some time but that will fail over time.

· Registered
834 Posts

cfish said:

I got a large stash of them in 1992, and by 2001 they were all useless. I couldn't tell you their exact shelf life, but it's well short of a decade.

-otus

· Registered
1,942 Posts

I agree with the 1 to 3 month idea. Drop 1k + for a year is not how most of us do things. We build up stores slowly over time as a side thing while we busy ourselves with other things be it sports, hunting, fishing, video games, automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, camping, hiking, chasing women, brewing beer, drinking beer, etc, etc.

· Registered
168 Posts

I like a 1 month supply idea too. I think the firestarters are a good idea, maybe some light source, and for sure a first aid kit. By the way what is your website? I was looking at some of this stuff earlier but there are so many sights I'd like to look at one where I could order without worry of being ripped off.

· Registered
4,405 Posts

Robpiat said:
http://www.readinessoutfitters.com

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going to work on the 1 month, 3 month, etc units and the other items.
I think doing this will increase your sales. And for my marketing idea I'll take a PVS-14 as payment. :grin:

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What do you guys think of this? Would it be better to do this in Cans? If cans, you wouldn't have much variety and you'd have the finish them quickly after you open them.

This includes enough food for one person to eat well for 15 Days. Pouches have a shelf life of up to Seven years. Packages with #10 Cans also available

15 Breakfast Meals

8 Granola with Milk and blueberries
7 Precooked Eggs with Bacon

30 Mountain House Standard Meals (2 10 Ounce Servings Each)

6 Chicken and Rice
6 Chili Mac
6 Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
6 Beef Stroganoff
6 Mexican Chicken with Rice

· Premium Member
5,040 Posts

I would enhance the family first aid kit to handle more than just bumps and bruises. Truth is in a SHTF circumstance you can get a lot more than just bumps and bruises. Whether its another Katrina or whatever it may be. I would forego the flesh sewing kit but add some quiklot, maybe a couple milspec bandages, that kind of thing. After 911 I put together a little kit for my family and quickly noticed that family first aid kits give you no chance to get to an aid station, distant hospital or what ever there is for catastrophic incidents.

Also perhaps you want to mix in with the food supplies something along the MRE path. If you actually will need something like that, you may not have time to add water and mess with it. Convenience is a major selling point just like having a stable food supply.

· Registered
1,578 Posts

I like the Mountain house food. I use it when backpacking. I have started purchasing several #10 cans a month. These have a 25 year shelf life and longer if kept in cool climes. I have purchased several mil surplus medical storage boxes to store the foo and other supplies in. They are water/air tight. Look them over well before purchasing to make sure the lids fit properly. I scrubbed them down well and use chlorox wipes on them before placing food in them. They will also keep rats mice and racoons out of it as well. For med kits there are several threads here all very informative about med kits etc. I have a berky water filter and another smaller portable filter. Don't forget a supply of plumers candles they will burn for 8 hours and are a good source of light. They will also heat small amounts of water in tin cups for coffee coca etc. Pack stuff like soup and honey flour and sugar and baking powder. Energy bars are a great item to have especially if you were to plan on doing some hunting. Look thru the posts here lots of informative info!!!

· Registered
1,578 Posts

+1 for the MRes. Also don't keep all your food together. If a tornado/hurricane or other disater hits your cache of food you may lose everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.