AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People say fitting parts onto an AK will be necessary as will be a Dremel tool. I have another pressing need for a Dremel tool and have already experienced a fitting issue on the AK so I am a believer in having a Dremel. That being said, there are many choices here which were not present years ago. I kinda like the cordless version but there are always trade offs. What do you think? What do you have?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Don't buy a home store knockoff brand. I bought a Blue Hawk one several years ago and it is trash. My wife (flame away) started wood carving a couple years ago and got a nice deal on an older Gesswein variable speed unit. I'd used their stuff in my career many times (tool and die) and they are very nice, but generally not cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ngl I bought a Walmart brand Dremel tool for my Md65 build. I've now got over 8 hours on that thing for sure abusing the heck out of it. For about 2 hours straight I had it so hot I had to hold it up to my oven fan to suck some of the heat out. Even better, I got it for like 19 bucks with a 2 year warranty for an extra 5. Just my 2 cents 🤣.
Pro tip: If you do end up cheaping out on the tool, do NOT cheap out on the bits. Buy Dremel brand bits. No comparison.
Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Over the last twenty years I have gone through about seven Dremel tools. They do have their place in gun smithing, firearms or AK building. Even with upkeep and changing the brushes, they will not last. They are pricey for a disposable tool. I am hard on them. They serve double duty as just not a gunsmithing tool but a woodworking and an around the house general purpose tool. My wife also uses my tools for craft projects.

My experience has been that a batt. powered one is useless and so is a single speed. Digital speed control is not worth the money. A rotary speed dial is what you want.

Lately I have been using a Dremel 3000 along with a Wen rotary tool like this, WEN 23114 1.4-Amp High-Powered Variable Speed Rotary Tool with Cutting Guide, LED Collar, 100+ Accessories, Carrying Case and Flex Shaft. I like the Wen and will buy another.

Any Dremel bits are best but expensive. The Dremel chainsaw sharpening bit #455 can't be beat for cutting AK front handguard retainer notches. Sometimes a general purpose bit kit from harbor freight can be useful but they just don't last. I do like the HF diamond kit for AK selector notches.

I don't have a Norm Abrams type tool shack to work with. I have also never met a gunsmith that did not use a rotary to in some way. Every one of my personal AK builds that I have posted here has probably had something done to it with a rotary tool.

For instance it would have taken much longer to build my 1960s Soviet RPK clone without a little rotary tool love, that mint Soviet stock was very oversized at the fitment areas.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have a variable speed Dremel I bought back in the late ‘90s if I remember correctly. I don’t use it much. Years ago at a Sears, I saw a Craftsman rotary tool that looked like a Dremel that was rebranded. I know Craftsman had other companies make tools for them.

Reactions: JeepFan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Corded vs. Uncorded. My other job is cutting a 9 inch circular hole in a metal roof for a stove pipe. This is an off grid cabin. The cordless sounds great for this since I will not have to drag the cord up onto the roof with me. Am I wrong? How wrong am I?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Over the last twenty years I have gone through about seven Dremel tools. They do have their place in gun smithing, firearms or AK building. Even with upkeep and changing the brushes, they will not last. They are pricey for a disposable tool. I am hard on them. They serve double duty as just not a gunsmithing tool but a woodworking and an around the house general purpose tool. My wife also uses my tools for craft projects.

My experience has been that a batt. powered one is useless and so is a single speed. Digital speed control is not worth the money. A rotary speed dial is what you want.

Lately I have been using a Dremel 3000 along with a Wen rotary tool like this, WEN 23114 1.4-Amp High-Powered Variable Speed Rotary Tool with Cutting Guide, LED Collar, 100+ Accessories, Carrying Case and Flex Shaft. I like the Wen and will buy another.

Any Dremel bits are best but expensive. The Dremel chainsaw sharpening bit #455 can't be beat for cutting AK front handguard retainer notches. Sometimes a general purpose bit kit from harbor freight can be useful but they just don't last. I do like the HF diamond kit for AK selector notches.

I don't have a Norm Abrams type tool shack to work with. I have also never met a gunsmith that did not use a rotary to in some way. Every one of my personal AK builds that I have posted here has probably had something done to it with a rotary tool.

For instance it would have taken much longer to build my 1960s Soviet RPK clone without a little rotary tool love, that mint Soviet stock was very oversized at the fitment areas.

Agreed the 3000 is the one I use for everything. Always gotta put a picture of an RPK. You know how that gets me. But thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts