AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first bayonet at a gun show a few days ago. The guy that sold it to me said that he had gotten it from a veteran friend who had recently passed away, and that he had brought this bayonet home from iraq after killing its previous owner. He also said it was soviet made. But I dont know if any of that's true or not. Could yall take a look at it and tell me what I've got?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now find its rubber boot, frog and the strap. As I understand, it's completely unmarked?
If it's Romanian, it has its own frog and not-black insulator.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Your bayonet and scabbard is a Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I. It is not soviet made, but a Russian design made under license at the Cugir arsenal in Romania. This type of bayonet is quite common in the middle east and was used by Iraq as well as other countries. This particular bayonet shows lots of usage and wear. It has been repaired and re-sharpened. As mentioned above, it is missing the rubber insulator on the scabbard. It is also missing a belt hanger and wrist strap they were issued with. Mr. B.
You can read more about it here: Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonets & Scabbards - Kalashnikov Bayonets of the World (akbayonets.info)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice pair of "mixmaster" bayonets and scabbards from Iraq. Never sure where the mixing occurred. During importation, at the supply centers or in the field. The top bayonet and scabbard is an Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I commercial/export model. It is in nice shape, but missing the small buckle on the wrist strap. Typically these bayonets and scabbards have no marking or numbering. The Hungarian belt hanger is missing and has been replaced with a nice Iraqi style leather and green canvas tropical wrap around version hanger.
The second bayonet and scabbard is a Polish AKM 6H4 Type II with a Type I scabbard. They even have original matching numbers and a correct wrist strap. The Polish belt hanger is missing and has been and has been replaced with a typical Iraqi one piece all leather wrap around version.
Probably not complete and original as bayonet collectors items, but maybe worth even more as documented war trophies. These two are in much better condition and appearance than most. Mr. B,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts