AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just got this mag but had trouble identifying it. It's metal, 5.45 or maybe 5.56 calibre, only marking is serial number, no markings on spine or floor plate. First thought it could be romanian because of the rough weld spots but it has only two horizontal ribs like yugo mags,also finish is mat texture.
Font Material property Tints and shades Pattern Electric blue
Sleeve Gesture Comfort Wood Rectangle
Wood Art Working animal Sculpture Flooring
Automotive lighting Wood Personal protective equipment Automotive design Audio equipment
Cutting mat Rectangle Wood Flooring Pattern
Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Line
Any help or tip is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
looks like chines type 84 mags in 5.56/.223

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Maybe maybe not... This is a brain smoker for sure. Chinese one looks to be the typical hump back. Plus the lower bars on this one don't extend into the front like chinese. Looks more like a Yugo steel mag with the 2 bars coming up short on the bottom. Could you post a picture of the bottom and the other side and looking at the back?

sorry I realized you did do the other side. Wondering if there are any other marks on the spine but can't see it real well. Also looking at the front and back to see if anything.

·
Registered
313 Posts
looks like chines type 84 mags in 5.56/.223

Op's mag has an obvious spine, isnt blued steel and the front relief cut prior to the feed-lips is certainly not typical chinese cut (that I've seen)
That lines up with it probably not being a normal chicom 84s mag.

did the chinese make a chinese knock off , of their own magazines?..lol :unsure:

I do see a whole lot of "Croatian" type characteristics there though,
possibly even Yugo as well...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah I am baffled on that one for sure. It is different looking all around. I would guess 5.56 if it is from yugo as I don't recall them doing 5.45 but looks nothing like their m85/m90 mags. Serial number is also interesting. And a pretty big number.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Possibly but the mags I have seen on NK are more like the Chinese 74 where the two bars at the bottom extend down on the front of the mag.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Possibly but the mags I have seen on NK are more like the Chinese 74 where the two bars at the bottom extend down on the front of the mag.

The NKs made lots of different 7.62 variation. Dont see why they couldn;t have done the same with 5.45 mags?

Serial# and condition would point towards it being an issue mag as well.

I also own all the known .223 mags outside of Russian production, and I,ve never seen anything like it.

Guess it could be a Hungarian 5.45 trial mag, as I've never seen one. Had one supposedly neing shipped to me years ago but it vanished in transit. However the sn# would make no sense.

Anyhow, I'm seriosly intrigued by it..

First thing, I think, would be to to decide what cartridge its made for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all, here's few additional information that might help. I got this mag alongside one east German black painted bakelite mag. Could this one also be East German, just metal? Also here is few pictures of these two, they appear to have same curvature and this bakelite should be originally for 5.45, yes? Black paint means it was converted for 5.56/223? It has 233 engraved on outside of feed lips. Unfortunately i have no access to 5.45 or 223 live ronds, only have few 223 shellcase and i tried to load them in this metal mag, they fit but not perfectly and obviously they miss tip so... Hope some of this helps, never thought ID it would be such problem haha.
Glove Gesture Nail Thumb Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Tread Bumper Camera lens Synthetic rubber

Musical instrument Wood Comfort Hardwood Metal

Automotive tire Gesture Flash photography Bumper Finger

Bumper Sleeve Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
908 Posts
A lot of older AG4 "bakelite" mags were simply modernized by being painted black. I've seen examples done by Russia, Bulgaria, and Ukraine. I think Poland did it too.

I think the vertical cuts you mention are Stripper Clip guides. Generally seen on military issue mags versus commercial, but I've seen Khyber Pass mags so done to confuse buyers into thinking they are from a Big Factory.

What country are you in?

Right now - my best guess is a Kyber Pass AK74 mag that possibly got captured and used by the Afghan Army. Literally anything could come out of that area.

Here is a link you will find interesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More I look at it - the more it screams "Kyber Pass".
You mean that this black bakelite could be from kyber pass? I live in croatia, europe so i suspected that these mags are from yugo war in 90's, 5.45 aks were used but in small numbers, apparently they were nicknamed "bonebreaker"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The second mag from the right is an East German Proto/trial mag in my collection. The mold# 01 being on the wrong side, and without a factory mark, are the give away. The Russians also never did the mold number one as a two digit "01", but did it as a "1"..
What is this first mag from right thst has mold number on opposite side? Number 10

·
Registered
908 Posts
You mean that this black bakelite could be from kyber pass? I live in croatia, europe so i suspected that these mags are from yugo war in 90's, 5.45 aks were used but in small numbers, apparently they were nicknamed "bonebreaker"
No. The Black painted East German mag is probably just a mag painted and used in Bulgaria or Poland. Nothing unusual unless it has inspector stamps on top of the black paint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts