AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Russian AKM kit , that came totally disassembled , i.e. - the trunion was removed from the barrel , and everything taken apart , how do i tell from the markings if it is a real Russian AKM barrel , vs. a Bulgarian , Hungarian , ect. ect. ????

PS. the markings on the barrel are as follows : K44 - and a number 2 in area of barrel under where the forearm would go

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
What year is your kit? I'll take a look at a similar era kit and see what the barrel markings are.
jithaca

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jithaca said:
What year is your kit? I'll take a look at a similar era kit and see what the barrel markings are.
jithaca
Jithaca : the trunnion has a IZZY triangle with arrow , and was made in 1977 , but as the barrel came removed from the trunnion , i am not sure the barrel is even Russian

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Check the diameter of the of the barrel at the trunnion journal. If it is 22mm it probably is a Russian. The Russian AKM (Izzy only) switched to a 22mm barrel trunnion in 1975. I do not believe/know of anyone else that made a 22mm AKM barrel. I guess it is possible some one could have turned a 23mm down. I'll go check my 1977 for markings and post in a few.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jithaca said:
Check the diameter of the of the barrel at the trunnion journal. If it is 22mm it probably is a Russian. The Russian AKM (Izzy only) switched to a 22mm barrel trunnion in 1975. I do not believe/know of anyone else that made a 22mm AKM barrel. I guess it is possible some one could have turned a 23mm down. I'll go check my 1977 for markings and post in a few.

Thanks J. !!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
My 77 Izzy barrel has the following stamped on it.

a "y" in a circle

"H9128A"

"2 1 1 1 " running in a vertical line

"B"
numerous other markings such as diamonds proofs and several other cryllic letters randomly stamped

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sterm , and Jithica , no such marks on the barrel at all , just a K44 , a number 2 , and a diamond stamp , that is all , my milled Russian kit barrels all have similar markings to the ones you have described , in fact they are full of little stamps , where this "RUSS AKM" barrel has barely any-- i done been had !! , im going to ask the guy for my money back , hopefully he will not pull a "FLORIDA GUNWORKS" on me , i will up-date

thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts