AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to speed up my computer and clicked to do a CHECK DISK. Now when I start up/restart it tries to run every time, and when it is complete it shows about 25 or 30 or these with different numbers.........."File Record Segment 1XXXXX is Unreadable".

What the hell did I do and how do I fix it!!! :evil:

It started after I accidentally(don't know how I did) started an install of some "Registry Optimizer" when I was downloading a Weather Channel Desktop weather program.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
is it saying that it couldn't repair the unreadable sectors?

do chkdsk C:/r in a command prompt(Start menu > Run > type cmd) it will probably ask you to perform it on next reboot so just hit Y and reboot

you might want to try defragging as well and uninstall whatever program you installed

read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 for more info

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heimdal said:
is it saying that it couldn't repair the unreadable sectors?

do chkdsk C:/r in a command prompt(Start menu > Run > type cmd) it will probably ask you to perform it on next reboot so just hit Y and reboot

you might want to try defragging as well and uninstall whatever program you installed

read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 for more info
I did that. And ChkDsk still tries to run every time I reboot.

·
Registered
491 Posts
prob

Man I feel for you. Last week I must have downloaded a trojan horse, browser hijacker, or virus. I kept getting unwanted websies popping up smoetimes many, many pages. Nothing I tried would get rid of it. I finally had to reload my OS to make it go away. Luckily I didn't have to reformat the drive.

You might starting in safe mode and restoring to a previous date.

Good luck, I HATE puter problems.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You need a new Hard Drive, your current one is fried. Same thing happened to me, same exact. :wink: BTW, the Barracuda series by Seagate are very nice.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: prob

mstrsippy said:
Man I feel for you. Last week I must have downloaded a trojan horse, browser hijacker, or virus. I kept getting unwanted websies popping up smoetimes many, many pages. Nothing I tried would get rid of it. I finally had to reload my OS to make it go away. Luckily I didn't have to reformat the drive.

You might starting in safe mode and restoring to a previous date.

Good luck, I HATE puter problems.
I tried to restore to a previous point and it will not succeed. Kept telling me it could not.

I left the ChkDsk running all last night and this morning it was only 36% finished and just sitting there doing nothing but I could hear the hard drive running.

I can bypass the ChkDsk when I reboot and it works fine but seems slow.

How do you restore the OS without loosing your programs and files??

Why would the HD be fried??

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heimdal said:
run a hard drive diagnostic program, try http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?l ... 04090aRCRD

is it making a weird noise, clicking, etc?

you should start backing up the files you want to keep
I will try this tonight. I am leaving for the beach Sat. morning and would like to get this resolved before I leave.

No clicking noise just the usual "running" sound it normally makes.

Would it be possible to move everything (programs/files/etc.) to my laptop for back-up and then move it back when I get it fixed or would I run the risk of maybe moving something corrupt??

·
Registered
491 Posts
prob

I don't know what kind of computer you have, store bought or homebuilt, or what your OS is. Some computers come with the OEM OS disks packed in the box with the computer. Some come with system recovery disks included. Some require you to make your own recovery disks. In my case I made a set of recovery disks the first day I unpacked the computer from the box. I am running XP Home edition.

In my case all I had to do was put the first recovery disk in the drive and turn on the computer. It gave me a choice as to whether I wanted to do a system recovery or to reformat the drive and start all over again. I chose to do a recovery so it relaoded the OS back to it's original configuration without any loss of data. Lucky me, it worked without having to reformat. With a reformat you lose ALL data on the drive. I still had to download and reinstall ALL the XP updates from microsoft.

In the past ( windows 9X )I have had to use a bootable disk, uninstall windows, then reinstall windows. You have to use a boot disk because the computer will not let you uninstall windows from your boot drive.

I hope this helps, even if it's just a little.

note: You need to disconnect peripheral devices then after your computer restarts on its OS, plug them back in one at a time and reload drivers as needed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
you can disable the start at reboot in the registry by changing the boot execute key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

to autocheck autochk /k:C *

then you may want to try a cloning utility like ghost or something similar and ghost to a new disk.... replace the drive with the cloned disk... then after that...if its working defragment and checkdisk to recover bad sectors.... you can use a disk tool like partition magic to expand your partition if you cloned to a larger disk than the original.

if you dont feel comfortable mucking around in the registry,,, you can do the cloning steps and after the new disk replaces the old and the old is taken out.. .the check disk that is scheduled will probably complete successfully.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an HP comp I bought at BestBuy and it has Windows XP home. I do have the disk. SO can I reboot from the disk and do a recovery that was??

Where do I get the "Ghosting" software?

Can I not just duplicate (move) everything to my laptop and then move it back after I get thru mucking around?

These things never turn out pretty when I do something like this. :neutral:

My IT guy here told me it probably was a bad HD and doing all this may temporarily fix it, only to have it crash later.

·
Registered
491 Posts
prob

Definetly backup your stuff on your laptop or somewhere. Take a look at this link to get an idea of how to recover. Deals with HP computers. I did the normal non destructive recovery.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hprecovery.htm

·
Registered
234 Posts
you should be able to get ghost at any software or office store....... Symantac sells it........ or you can use Linux for free to do it with dd or a dedicated tool like clonezilla..........my approach would be the Clonezilla live cd which you can download and use for free you can get it and read about it at clonezilla.org

the advantage to cloning the disk everything will be exactly the same....... all the installed software etc........ if you reinstall you will loose all that stuff...updates, and anything else you have installed since you got it you will need to reinstall.......

like others say, back it all up first in case it doesnt work...... Ive done this a bunch.... many times it is easy and goes slick as snot....... other times its a fight depending on how many sectors have gone bad on the disk and where they are....... if you windows install is still stable and just slow you shouldn't have much problem

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool...........latest update. I am home now.

My computer has completely ran through the ChkDsk and booted up like it was supposed to. :neutral:

I think I will reboot it and see what happens. Maybe I should back it up first??

Has anyone ever used Glary Registry Repair software??

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have Glary utilities on my Comp it's a good program.

If I were you, while you can go out and buy an external hard drive you can get a good ext HD like 200-300 gigs for around 100 dollars and store all your important files.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RobertR said:
you should be able to get ghost at any software or office store....... Symantac sells it........ or you can use Linux for free to do it with dd or a dedicated tool like clonezilla..........my approach would be the Clonezilla live cd which you can download and use for free you can get it and read about it at clonezilla.org

the advantage to cloning the disk everything will be exactly the same....... all the installed software etc........ if you reinstall you will loose all that stuff...updates, and anything else you have installed since you got it you will need to reinstall.......

like others say, back it all up first in case it doesnt work...... Ive done this a bunch.... many times it is easy and goes slick as snot....... other times its a fight depending on how many sectors have gone bad on the disk and where they are....... if you windows install is still stable and just slow you shouldn't have much problem
How does the cloning work? Does it copy my HD into a zip file or something?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JaketheSnake said:
I have Glary utilities on my Comp it's a good program.

If I were you, while you can go out and buy an external hard drive you can get a good ext HD like 200-300 gigs for around 100 dollars and store all your important files.
I have thought about doing that.

I ran the Glary and it found 746 errors!!! :shock: Repaired those,
Ran it again and it found 46 more. Repaired those and now it is clear. Rebooted and all seems to be fine but SLOOOOOOOW to boot up, takes almost 5 minutes to boot up.

Where do you go to see what all is running when you boot up? I have seen it bfore but can't remember. Maybe I can stop some of the stuff on boot-up to speed it up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
some can..... but cloning proper is a bit for bit copy from one drive to another....... tools like ghost only take allocated space (space used for files) not unused space....so your cloning goes alot faster if you have a 300GB disk but only have 20GB of data on it, you only have to copy 20GB of data, not the full 300.

Tools like Ghost will also allow you to clone to things like CD or DVD.... so you could restore your machine from DVD's or CD's

Disks are separated by things called sectors (or Blocks) in Linux.... cloning tools take every sector from one disk and copy it to the other disk.... so you get and exact copy of the disk... all the settings, passwords,installed software.... every thing....

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I can't get my volume icon to come up in the sys tray. I went to the add programs and it won't add.

·
Registered
491 Posts
vol

hope this helps

To display the volume control icon in the notification area
Open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel.
On the Volume tab, under Device volume, select the Place volume icon in the taskbar notification area check box.
Notes

To open Sounds and Audio Devices, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
If your sound card volume can be changed using software, a speaker icon appears in the notification area. You can change the volume by clicking the icon and adjusting the slider.

To make sure it stays visible do this.

To add the volume icon to the taskbar
Open Sounds and Audio Devices.
On the Volume tab, under Device volume, select the Place volume icon in the taskbar check box, click Apply, and then click OK.
Right-click the taskbar, and then click Properties.
On the Taskbar tab, under Notification area, select the Hide inactive icons check box.
Click Customize.
In the Name column, click Volume, in the Behavior column, click Always show, and then click OK.
On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.
Note

To open Sounds and Audio Devices, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts