AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have $1500-$2000 to spend on another evil rifle. I am seriously considering getting my first AR style rifle. I've shot a few but never owned one personally. As far as caliber is concerned, I wanna stay away from 5.56mm. Right now, its basically a contest between DPMS LR .308 and a 6.5mm Grendel from Alexander Arms. Here are my pros and cons for each one. Keep in mind, that whatever I get, I will be loading my own ammo.

%%%%% AA 6.5 Grendel: %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Pros:

1. Super-sonic out to 1200 yds!!!

2. Tennis ball sized groups @ 600 yds!!! (who doesnt want that??)

3. More ftlbs @ longer ranges than 5.56mm (ya know, just in case
I ever need to punch holes in really tough paper).

Cons:

1. 6.5mm is fantastic cartridge IMO but its not as mainstream as
a .308. Ammo availability and price.

2. I would feel comfortable hunting whitetail but dont know about
Elk and bigger game. Hunting is not a big priority for me
though. Just nice to have the option.

3. The AA rifle is about 50% more expensive than the DPMS.

%%%%%%% DPMS %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Pros:

1. Its a .308. You just cant go wrong with a .308.

2. Great round for reloading.

3. I have the option of hunting just about anything that walks in
North America.

4. The DPMS LMR .308 is a real tack driver. Ive shot my buddy's
and I was really impressed. Im sure the AA is just as accurate,
if not more, but Ive never shot one, so I cant comment.

Cons:

1. Doesnt have the range of the 6.5mm G. But how often am I
really going to be shooting at targets 1200 yrds away? Its just
nice to have the option.

2. This sounds really gay, but I hate the fucking panther logo
on the lower. Reminds me of the Lone Wolf logo on their bbls.
I really like the shield on the AA lower. I know aesthetics has
no effect on performance whatsoever but when you're dropping
over $1K on a rifle, its nice to not cringe every time you look at
it.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Now a question regarding the AR platform in general. Just how badly does the direct gas impingement affect the performance of the rifle? I mean, how many rounds can one typically fire before the rifle starts to malfunction? Does using cleaner burning powders help any? That's probably more a question for the re-loaders out there.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
well I would say a m1a but if you are set on the black rifle the 308 or one of the 243 versions. Grendel round is great but as long as it is held on to as tight as it is by alexander I doubt it will ever take off.

Go with the 308 is my vote

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
As far as reliablity, my Colt 6920 has gone several thousand rounds between cleanings, and that includes shooting Barnaul steel cased stuff and USGI frangible, with zero malfunctions.

Proper staking of the gas carrier key and a good milspec chamber, along with MPI'd bolts and barrels help that a lot.

The two rifles you're looking at will have tighter commercial chambers because of calibers they're chambered in, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Grendel and the Alexander Arms rifles.

The DPMS .308's haven't been plagued with the issues that their .223 rifles have, and I know a fair amount of "serious guys" who like them.

Word on the street says that Wolf will be bringing in steel cased 6.5mm Grendel for "cheap" plinking/training round, but it doesn't sound like this will be a high volume rifle anyway.

A well built AR is not the prima donna that most people think it is.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Templar said:
Proper staking of the gas carrier key and a good milspec chamber, along with MPI'd bolts and barrels help that a lot.

The two rifles you're looking at will have tighter commercial chambers because of calibers they're chambered in, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Grendel and the Alexander Arms rifles.
Do you recall whether the DPMS LMR has a MPI BCG? I dont have "the chart" in front of me right now.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
DPMS doesn't MPI their stuff as far as I know, but neither does AA.

You're looking at commercial sporting rifles though, not rifles destined for LE, PMC, or military use though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts