AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg

I purchased a brand new liberty arms milled AK47 from a local gun shop about three months ago. It is a tula akm parts kit built on a US manufactured milled receiver and barrel. I noticed when I was cleaning it that the barrel pin was sticking out on the ejection port side a bit and was not flush like it was before. It seems that when I was firing the gun the barrel pin moved. I took a hammer and with very light taps was able to knock it back into place flush. It's my understanding that the barrel pin should not be able to move so easily. i took a punch and hammered the pin a little more in the same direction to the point where it is now sticking out a little on the side opposite of the ejection port and when I try to tap it back the other way with light taps it does not move. Do you guys think the headspacing may now be off because the pin moved? I know the barrel is pressed in but I am wondering if when firing it when the pin moved it may have made the headspacing off. I am going to call the gun shop tomorrow that I bought it from and see if they can give me the contact for liberty arms. I was only able to find a disconnected phone number for liberty arms online. I assume the gun is now unsafe to fire and I should probobly get some gauges. Let me know what you guys think thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do try and get it fixed under warranty. The pin should be very tight, at this point being so loose an oversize pin is needed and a hole inspection done with headspace check.

·
Technical Advisor
15,865 Posts
Assuming the pin is the normal 7mm size., the pin channel was drilled too large. The pin., as you surmise should be a press fit., not a "tap in" fit.
Hopefully they will take care of it for you or authorize some compensation to fix the rifle with a new oversized pin installation.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
It's an easy fix if you have the tools, but definitely try and get the company to fix it first. Headspace will need to be confirmed and then have an oversized pin installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted a local gunsmith today about my barrel pin problem. He told me it was not nessacary to replace my existing pin with an oversized barrel pin. He also said the headspacing should be fine because the pin never fell all the way out. He said he would replace the pin for me if I wanted but really all I need to do is use some high heat thread locker or JB weld and apply it to the part of the pin that is sticking out and into the hole on the opposite side and just hammer the pin back in. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I'll say what no one else is; your gunsmith us full of shit.

The issue you're having would lead to a catastrophic failure of the rifle if that pin worked its way out far enough. This isn't a loose muzzle break we're talking a out here. We're talking about a round possibly being fired as the barrel come s loose from the receiver.

The fix is easy and the ONLY fix is to drill for a larger barrel pin. Anyone telling you otherwise doesn't know shit about an AK and should be ruled out as so.eone to ask advice from on the AK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol yeah pretty damn stupid to do it that way. Maybe bubble gum or scotch tape would work better. If I can't get the gun shop to replace the rifle then I will just get a oversized pin and some gauges. I will probobly need a press too or is it possible to do this properly with just a sledge hammer and some punches? I have been looking extensively and I can't find an ak smith in my area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lol yeah pretty damn stupid to do it that way. Maybe bubble gum or scotch tape would work better. If I can't get the gun shop to replace the rifle then I will just get a oversized pin and some gauges. I will probobly need a press too or is it possible to do this properly with just a sledge hammer and some punches? I have been looking extensively and I can't find an ak smith in my area.
I wouldn't even think of a smith yet. First get warranty service. If the company won't stand by its product, that says volumes. Once you start self-helping, the warranty will probably be void.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
unless your gun shop has a competent gunsmithing service as well as firearm sales you will most likely be dealing with the manufacturer for this problem, the gunshop should assist you in shipping the rifle back to whoever built it and receiving it when the manufacturer sends it back repaired...honestly the best scenario I see for you is you cover the shipping to the manufacturer, they cover the shipping back and the gun shop doesnt charge you a transfer fee....Good Luck!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
It's honestly frightening how many people think JB weld or similar stuff is okay to use in critical areas on firearms. Especially someone claiming to be a gun Smith. Check the warranty situation first.

It could be done at home with not a lot of extra tools, but if you haven't ever dealt with headspacing a firearm, it's probably not advisable. You can rig up a vise to push the barrel pin in and there are a few other options. I wouldn't use a hammer. You could end up mushrooming the pin. I would personally mic the pin/hole and move to the smallest next increment possible and get a reamer and some hardened drill rod from McMaster-Carr, so you don't have to make a big size jump.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Id try a new pin before removing steel / drilling and reaming
Being its built from a kit ..... that pin may have been pressed in and out several times and worn down a bit

But #1 check head space first

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Since it hasn't been pointed out already, you should not have messed with the rifle once you found this problem. The manufacturer should fix it, but now if they have an excuse not to. They may claim that you messed with the barrel pin which resulted in it moving. That's not what happened, but plenty of people dicker with firearms and then expect the manufacturer to clean up their mess. If they're no the type to backup their work, then all the worse.

You also really have a responsibility to send it back to the manufacturer because they need to know that they're produced a firearm which can result in severe personal injury. There's no telling how many others they've produced, so they may need to issue a recall after identifying the source of the problem.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a pretty shitty situation. The gunshop said they do not do returns and I am pretty sure the manufacture liberty arms international is out of business. The shop said they are going to try to contact the supplier and get another one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Id try a new pin before removing steel / drilling and reaming
Being its built from a kit ..... that pin may have been pressed in and out several times and worn down a bit

But #1 check head space first
If you can't get warranty work "Mr Nobody" idea of a new pin of the same size may press in very tight.

First if you are going to be a DIY AK Gunsmith spent some money on the least expensive part there is that will return the most over & over; that is $85 on the Gunplumber's Gunsmithing Kalashnikov Rifles book and DVDs by T. Mark Graham.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
It's a pretty shitty situation. The gunshop said they do not do returns and I am pretty sure the manufacture liberty arms international is out of business. The shop said they are going to try to contact the supplier and get another one.

I think a gunshop would only do a return on "banquet" guns like with a ducks unlimited banquet where there is a gun raffle, go to the store, I already have this gun, don't need another one they will either give you store credit for it or put it up on consignment if you are lucky...If the manufacturer is out of business then you may have to send it off to a ak smith who knows what he is doing...like you said, shitty situation all the way around...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts