AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I just bought my first Draco-C, and i wanted to put a suppressor on it. I read that if the barrel exceeds a certain limit its considered a rifle? And all the posts i read are of people welding and pinning it permanently to get the certified rifle description. But i just want a suppressor i can put on and remove when i please..like a screw on. Is there a certain thread i just need to buy? Or do i need to get it re threaded or add a mount or something? I really have no idea what to do.

Im seriously a noob and will accept the bashes with no hurt feelings..but please explain what i need to do to get a suppressor on my Draco. I want to end up putting a railing system with an angled forgrip (which i read is legal, and i hope that is true) and the SB47 brace to act in a manner that it is not meant for lol. Along with a new pistol grip and of course the suppressor.

Thank you for the responses!

-TJ

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Barrel length is not an issue for pistols. You can get adapters from places like CNC Warrior, or get a suppressor made for the AK with the appropriate thread. Using a arm brace as a stock is illegal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barrel length is not an issue for pistols. You can get adapters from places like CNC Warrior, or get a suppressor made for the AK with the appropriate thread. Using a arm brace as a stock is illegal.
Well i would only use the brace at the range and would remove it as soon as i was done shooting. Would you happen to know where i can find the thread count for the Draco? I cant find it online, but i was thinking its probably the same as a standard AK47 right? And i keep reading about having to remove a barrel nut?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
One concern could be the lack of concentricity of the barrel threads to the bore. The barrel threads also don't have a definite shoulder like an AR or threaded pistol barrel for the suppressor to locate against. Tightening against the combination front sight/gas block is probably not a good idea either. I'd hate to have you buy a 30 cal suppressor and find out there is an issue. Especially in the worst way by getting a baffle strike and destroying the suppressor. How far do you want to go with this?

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you're serious about doing this and either purchasing a suppressor via Form 4, or manufacturing one via Form 1, go ahead and do yourself the favor of Form 1ing the pistol into an SBR while you're at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One concern could be the lack of concentricity of the barrel threads to the bore. The barrel threads also don't have a definite shoulder like an AR or threaded pistol barrel for the suppressor to locate against. Tightening against the combination front sight/gas block is probably not a good idea either. I'd hate to have you buy a 30 cal suppressor and find out there is an issue. Especially in the worst way by getting a baffle strike and destroying the suppressor. How far do you want to go with this?
Yeah i don't want any issues with it at all. I want it to be a perfect fit with no chance of error. I suppose i should go see a gunsmith? I dont really know what you mean by the shoulder of threads, I'm assuming its how much the threading protrudes? Giving it a decent amount of thread to hold on to. I do really want a suppressor, one i can unscrew easily when i dont want it on. And id be happy to get it re threaded if necessary but i dont have to go through that trouble, that'd be great. If you were going to do it, what steps would you take? Is there maybe a specific suppressor that is known to fit well?

Thank you for the response by the way. It really is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're serious about doing this and either purchasing a suppressor via Form 4, or manufacturing one via Form 1, go ahead and do yourself the favor of Form 1ing the pistol into an SBR while you're at it.
I need to sumbit a form for a suppressor? I thought that was for silencers? And I'm really trying not to make it into a SBR, at least not just yet.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Suppressors require an BATFE form. If it has multiple baffles it requires a form. 4pc flash hider has a single baffle, if you dont want the bullshit.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
No. Having anything less than a 16" barrel and is meant to be shouldered is a sbr. Hence "short barreled rifle". There are a few other requirements I think but If you stick a suppressor on an sbr u will need 2 forms. I'd get it registered as an aow so u can have a foregrip. I'm not a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wait are you thinking pinning and/or welding a suppressor to ur draco? then registering it as a rifle? that might not be a good thing on your end because that draco will last longer than that suppressor. also issue of ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait are you thinking pinning and/or welding a suppressor to ur draco? then registering it as a rifle? that might not be a good thing on your end because that draco will last longer than that suppressor. also issue of ammo.
No i didnt want to pin and weld it. I was hoping for one that i can screw on and off when i want. And the Draco is considered a pistol, and the barrel is under 16", the gun itself is about 21". It does not have a stock so it isnt meant to be shouldered. I wont put a stock on it for awhile to avoid the tax stamp and having it considered an SBR. So basically, i want to suppress my "pistol", since it is not considered a SBR.

·
Registered
581 Posts
What everyone is trying to say is:

1. If you want to purchase a suppressor, you will need to fill out a form 4 for the suppressor itself. It has nothing to do with the gun. There will be a serial number them put on the suppressor that registers it to you. This cost $200(i Believe). You could then put it on any gun you own that has that thread.

2. The other person was saying if you are going to go through the process of doing a form 4 for the suppressor, why not do a form 1 ($200) at the same time and be able to add a stock to it and then you can shoulder fire it.

3. About the brace, it is legal to have a brace on your pistol, but if you put it against your shoulder and fire it, that is illegal.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
^Yes, a tax stamp is required for both. $200 each. If you manufacture your own suppressor or SBR, you use a Form 1. If you purchase either, you use a Form 4.

OP, unless you have resources to do your own gunsmithing and/or some machining, expect to pay $600-$900 for a suppressor, $200 for the tax stamp, probably another $75-200 for a mount (depending on what you want), and possibly another $75-$200 for a reputable gunsmith to make sure the mount is attached in a way to ensure you won't get a baffle strike.

One DIY option might be to get a multi-caliber can, like the Liberty Mystic or similar, made for 9mm. Then see if there is a fairly basic adapter that would register against the muzzle, not just bottom on the barrel threads. Any alignment issues might not be a problem with a suppressor designed to handle 9mm.

The shoulder issue I mentioned is that AK muzzle threads just 'run out' without having a definite end transitioning to a larger diameter. So no shoulder for a suppressor or mount to tighten against. Might just tighten on the 'vanishing' thread and do a poor job of tightening and aligning. Tightening against the front sight block (where the detent pin is) would also not provide a very good surface because it's just a rough cast part.

So, how serious are you, and how much do you want to spend? ;)

You could permanently attach a suppressor to avoid the one $200 tax stamp, but then that leads to issues like not being able to clean the attachment point. Again, probably not a great idea.

·
Registered
967 Posts
^ Yeah, what he said.

$200 form 4 or form 1 to either transfer in or manufacture your own suppressor/silencer/can. If purchasing from a company out of state you will need to have the suppressor/silencer/can transferred to an FFL who has his SOT via a form 3. This form costs nothing and is done between the receiving FFL and the manufacturer, but you will get charged a fee for transferring via the FFL. If the suppressor manufacturer is in state you can transfer directly to yourself via a form 4.

$200 for the form 1 to manufacture your own SBR. Any rifle less than 26" overall length or with a barrel less than 16" is an SBR.

Adding a a foregrip to your pistol makes it an Any Other Weapon. This also requires a $200 form 1 to be submitted and approved. Attaching the foregrip without aforementioned approved form 1 is illegal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts