AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks

I've been a member for several years now, just sort of observing from the shadows. I'd like to officially say hello and thank you for all the valuable information i've discovered on the forum! I'm going to start contributing to threads and even asking advice here in the next few months.

I'm part of a worldwide Reenactment movement that started in 2013 and has been growing exponentially. Our period of study is Yugoslavia Pre-post breakup and our reenactments consist mainly of the earlier part of the Yugoslav Civil War 1991-1994. We've had to learn a lot about different Kalashnikovs to make this happen and i'm proud to say that in our group collection we boast about 2 dozen variations. We're always looking to build more and procure more. ESPECIALLY YUGO M70s and M64/67s.

How does the reenacting work? Well it first starts with a metric ton of research into a part of the conflict such as a region, a battle, a date, etc. Then we move to the individual impression. What they wore, what they carried, who issued what, etc. Then we plan the event. The events are a sort of tactical wargame based of an actual battle and date. We utilize period vehicles and equipment as well as uniforms and weapons. The weapons are all blank adapted and we chew through an unspeakable amount of blank ammunition in one weekend. We then take an evening after about 24 hours of simulated combat and we cook food from the region we're portraying together, listen to period music and throw back an unspeakable amount of brews! It's a really unique way to study weaponry and history as well as become familiar with a new culture and language.

We're always on the lookout for Yugo junk and we are all pretty much experts on uniforms and equipment so i'd be happy to answer questions in that regard. We are however Novices when it comes to AKs so we will be seeking help on builds etc, Our current biggest issue is the Parkerized Century Built AKs. These lemons are ok rifles but they really work for our purpose of Blank ammo hoses! Just that darn finish is historically inaccurate and ugly as Sin. I've been stalking some threads to try and find a solution but am open to anyone with more knowledge to PM with some tips! Or if you have broken and dead Yugo AKs we will gladly find a use for them.

Thank you all and all the best!

-Dako

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdyho Neighbor. I'm in Urbana IL. So even more close than you might have originally thought.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Howdyho Neighbor. I'm in Urbana IL. So even more close than you might have originally thought.
Spent some time at Chanute AFB back in 1982. Used to catch the train into Campaign-Urbana on the weekends, and still have a Fightin' Illini scarf from those days...

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Welcome!

While I don't reneact, I also have an interest in militaria used in the Balkan conflict as well as the firearms used. I think the conflict resembles how the US would looks if things ever fell apart (I have no desire for that to happen - for the record).

Many, many AK kits imported over the last 12 years spent time in the Balkans. In addition to Zastava produced firearms and depending on which side the combatant was on it is common to see Bulgarian milled AK47, Romanian, East German, Egyptian, Hungarian, Russian and other AKM pattern firearms.

Simply said, if you can legally own a firearm your wallet and ever increasing skill level determine how closely you can reproduce the firearms used in the conflict.

Romanians are a good place to start - they were used in quanitity by both HVO, HOS, Armija BiH and other factions. I even saw a Romanian stock from the 1980's with Krajna carved into it.

Many of us on this board seek to reproduce the original appearance of AK based firearms. Most often those of us with this passion resort to custom builds and engraving. Either we learn to do it ourselves or we farm out some or all of the work.

Here is a thread you will probably find interesting.
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/30-yugoslavian/49225-war-trench-art-picture-thread.html

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Howdy, I used to live in Chambana myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts