AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got out of the U.S. Army on a medical separation and received some sep pay since I was six years from retirement. I've had ARs in the past and have used the M16 extensively obviously for nearly 14 years. I decided to use some of that sep pay for a nice rifle. Being in the army in training, Afghanistan, and Iraq I have fired countless 5.56 through M16s I am very familiar with SPORTS (Correcting Malfunctions). So I decided to get my first AK. I bought a brand new Saiga Izhmash 5.45 AK 74 after some research. I wanted a high quality russian AK without dropping $2000 on a DAKM. I got the Saiga for $600 and after about $300 more I will have it complete and ready to fire for the first time this weekend. I will post some pics when it's done.

Here is the upgrades tell me what you guys think since I am still new to AKs. I'm going for a modernized look with the dependability of the AK.

Cut off the shroud, threading the barrel 14-1 LH and adding a Tapco Intrafuse slotted muzzle brake (I also got a type 74 brake to see which I like better)
Magpul Zhukov S stock
Replacing the foregrip with a picatinny quadrail system
Adding a picatinny side mount for a red dot
Finally a cheap vertical grip with bipod from ak builder.

It will be all black, including some 45rd Pmags I got from a local dealer.

What do you guys think? Did I forget anything important? I want to get a bumpski stock down the road for fun but that's another $450.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Welcome to the group!!

And THANK YOU for your service to this great country!!!

As for the AK, just need to warn you that they can be very addictive. AK-addiction has been known to lead people to owning several AKs from different countries and in different calibers!

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Well hell just jump in. Welcome and I think you have built a start.

Reactions: Chris82

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Brawny I will post some pics soon. It's stripped down, I'm waiting for said furniture in the mail. Just wanted to see if I forgot anything or should have went another route on any of the parts.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Inusuit

·
Registered
204 Posts
Attachments don't seem to be working.
I've read several threads that say the Zhukov stock is shit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice to meet you and thank you for your service! I am former military too - and addicted to AK's!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts