AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to attempt to build an oven. I was looking at buying a 350W Infrared Food Warmer and using it as a heating element. Will that be enough power if i put it inside a confined space? I have seen shop ovens good to 400 degrees done w/ 250W elements, but I dont know if the food warmer works different.

Also, what is about the minimum temperature and time for curing for GunKote or Norrels.

Thanks!
-Ryan

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have seen ovens built with a cheap Wallyworld hotplate as the heat source.

GK calls for 300*F for one hour. That is one hour after the GK'd part reaches 300*, not one hour in the oven. It is possible to vary the temp and time, but if you stay with GK's instructions you will do fine.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Keep in mind lots of the products we use to paint our rifles recommend using an air circulating oven. That helps eliminating hot and cold spots giving you an even and consistent finish.

+1 on the HF powercoating oven

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Please forgive my hijack, but I have a question that is on topic.

Prototype Services said:
GK calls for 300*F for one hour. That is one hour after the GK'd part reaches 300*, not one hour in the oven.
How long is this, for say, a barreled receiver for an AK?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Jerod said:
Try this one guys. I bought one 5 years ago and its paid for itself 100 times over. You can bake a full size Fal or any size AK you want .
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46300
The internal dimensions are listed as 18x18x18, is it larger than that in reality? A barreled AK receiver w/ 16" barrel would be around 23" roughly. Even if it put it in at the diagonal, wouldn't it still be too small?

·
Registered
811 Posts
18x18x18
Across that would be about 25...

Best you could do is draw out 18x18 on a piece of paper or so, and then see if the barreled action fits inside the lines..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sgt5th ,
A barreled AK receiver fits in perfect . You have to tilt the barrel up and have the rear trunion tang rest on the back of the oven. The oven is just about the right size for most small arms rifles I have refinished including , AR15's , AK's , AK74's , Fals [ Full and Para], Galil's , VZ58's , Beretta AR70 , G3 ETC. The 18x18 does not seem that large. You just have to use some wire to hang the items and a little farting around to get the door closed . Great item to buy if you plan on any type of refinishing . Good luck ! Jerod

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
FW200 said:
18x18x18
Across that would be about 25...

Best you could do is draw out 18x18 on a piece of paper or so, and then see if the barreled action fits inside the lines..
Technically you are half the way there. It is 31.1" diagonally, remember its a cube.

Pythagorean Theorem (right triangle) 18x18 + 18x18 = 648 Square root is 25.45"
Remember this is just for the first plane across the floor of the oven.

Now, the diagonal across the corner of the 18" cube oven.
18x18 + 25.45x25.45 = 971.7 Square root is 31.1"

If you need to try it your self take a couple pieces of tape and in a inside corner mark up 18" then mark out 18" for both walls then check with a tape measure. You should have no problem fitting barreled receiver AK in that area.

31" inside the oven diagonally is a lot of room. Apparently more than one would think. :twisted:

·
Registered
945 Posts
After reading the above post ....mee head hurts a little. :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts