AK Rifles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is probably a stupid question but here it goes. On my Romy Build there was not Head space guage at the party. I was told that is should be ok since it was a matching kit. I am not sure of how you would adjsut any thing. I THINK head spacing is simply where the barrel lines up in the front trunion. if you use a matching kit the barrel can only go in one space if you are to put the barrel pin back in. so can some one fill me in on this properly please? I did fire the gun with a bout 60 rounds on sunday and it seemed ok. I used one round in the mag then went to 2 rounds, then 3 rounds, then 5 rounds, then 10. I did have a couple of Jams but i figure that once the gun is cleaned real well it wont be a problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
you cant really adjust headspace

if you have shot the rifle theres no prob with the headspace or you would know about it

when you get a matching kit the headspace should be correct but
that isnt always true (why you check it)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Headspace can be short or long. If it's too short, the bolt may have trouble closing. With long headspace, you may get bulged or split cases, which can be dangerous. Gas will vent into the receiver and magazine rapidly, and sometimes make things come apart. It may not happen with the first round, the first mag or the first case.

Unless you've examined the fired brass (or steel, in this case) to check for signs of improper headspace, you won't really know if the headspace is off (or checked it with gages). Some folks think it's good practice to fire the first rounds remotely and look at the brass before putting it up to your face and shooting, even with properly checked headspace.

With a matching kit, the theory is that the barrel pin hole is not drilled until the barrel is properly headspaced... so if you remove and reinstall the same barrel on the same trunnion with the same bolt, headspace will not change. I can't say for sure, but I would bet that it could change a little. If any one of the parts change (barrel, bolt or trunnion), then all bets are off.

If your gun doesn't headspace properly, the right thing to do is use an oversize barrel pin, and drill and pin the barrel at the correct location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the headspace can change when you have a matching barrel and trunion, my last build did this as i got kind of slopply and just pressed it in thinking that well the notch and the hole will line itself up, well when i got it all together, the bolt wouldn't even close all the way, so i had to press the pin out and move the barrel, which turned out to be a major pita, for some reason. I damn near had to really press the barrel out to just move it back right. It was almost like everything just kind of swelled in there. Well i guess ill just have to keep track of my scribe marks like i always have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts