AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new Lancaster AKM to the range today for the first time. This is also my first AK of any kind, so I'm not too familiar with the operation. I had about 10 mags loaded with 5-10 rounds of Wolf FMJ and JHP. The first 30 or 40 rounds were fine, then I started to have problems. It didn't seem to differ when switching between JHP and FMJ. I chambered a round, fired and then CLICK. Cycled out the round and chambered a second and fired. This occurred several times before I noticed 2 things. One.....the rounds I cycled out by hand had primer strikes.....and 2..... I began observing the bolt carrier getting hung up about 1/2 inch from full battery. I can't determine what is causing the problem. I believe the bolt itself is catching as it approaches the chamber and attempts to rotate. I took it home and cleaned/lubed the rifle and it seems to working a little better cycling by hand, but I'd like to know everyones thoughts. I can also get the bolt carrier to hang up if I slowly pull the bolt to the rear all the way. Is this normal? I also found that I can "set up" the problem with an empty mag and chamber. I can manually ride the bolt forward until it catches about 1/2 inch from full battery. Then when I pull the trigger, the hammer drives the bolt forward into battery. Am I in danger of having a kaboom?.......or is it impossible for an AKM to fire out of battery? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
Sounds like the bolt was not fitted to the trunnion locking lugs properly. A real builder would have lapped the bolt in and ensured proper head space.

Is there gauling on the bolt or trunnion were it rotates in? Sometimes if very minor, you can just rack the bolt/carrier a few hundred times and it will smooth out on it's own.

Push comes to shove, make Lancaster backup their warranty and fix it for you.

I can also get the bolt carrier to hang up if I slowly pull the bolt to the rear all the way. Is this normal?
Quite normal on semi-auto AKM rifles. The hammer is dragging the bottom of the carrier. Full-auto rifles lack this problem due to the rate reducer being installed in the trigger group.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
Send the rifle back. It's blindly apparent that they did not build it correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problems today when I took it to the range :oops: Ran flawlessly. Could it have been a problem with a magazine........ I wonder? Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts