AK Rifles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go bald at 25 if I'm not careful from pulling my hair out. I'm having the worst luck on using paints. I've tried duplicolor and Krylon. What seems to happen is they get sort of a discoball look to it when it's sprayed on. Not a flat black surface. I thought I was doing it from too far away but getting too close and it's too glossy. I'm on the verge of breaking down and buying brownells but I wondered if anyone had a suggestion for a type I might be able to buy locally that they have had good results with.

Also what am I doing wrong? I've read the painting tutorial and I did my 74 a while back but this one is whipping me!

· Registered
1,782 Posts
make sure surface is free from dirt and oils, dont touch it

Heat up the spray can by placing it in a glass of hot/boiling water. dont boil the can itself, just put it in hot water to heat up the spray so it comes out in a finer mist. Nothing sucks more than a globby cold spray paint can.

Start before the edge of the object, and pass over it spraying, stopping after you pass the last part. Just like the paint robots in car factories. keep that flow going.

put one one coat lightly like in the brownells youtube Gunkote video. Let that first coat dry and stick, THEN give it a good coat after that one.

as my commander said "hair is power"

· Registered
2,728 Posts
The first coat you put down will look sort of "grainy" since it's following the surface texture of the metal. Subsequent coats will allow you to get the level of gloss (or matte) that you're looking for, the 2nd and 3rd coats will begin to fill in texture on the surface of the metal.

Sometimes baking will even out the finish. I recently did a Tantal in dupicolor semi-gloss black that the reciever turned out a bit smoother than the topcover or selector lever (they look a bit more textured). Everything went into the oven looking the same as far as finish goes but the reciever and barrel really smoothed out during baking. YMMV

· Registered
6,141 Posts
wipe all back off with thinner. clean it with brake cleaner blow dry and spray it with sherwin william or dupont automotive self etching epoxy primer in black. Follow the direction on the can to a T.

It will be there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.