AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a notification that this was posted.

I noticed this rifle, at a very good price, on the Atlantic Firearms web site, and unlike the previous Century offering, this rifle has the RPK bulged trunion, and the gas block and FSB is equipped for the included cleaning rod, and the bayonet lug is not neutered! It also had what appeared to be a standard AK optic rail on the left side of the receiver. The gas system appears to be traditional AK 47, with the vent holes in the side of the gas tube. He never commented on or showed the butt plate, and I wonder if it has the trap door and if the stock is drilled for the cleaning kit.

Rob says in his video that Century just sent him this rifle out of the blue, so to speak. Rob says that he didn't buy it or request that it be sent to him for review. Century just sort of stuck their neck out, so to speak, and included a note with the rifle, so to speak, that went something like "F.U. Rob! We hope you choke on it!" - tongue-in-cheek I presume. (Rob has been pretty much a critic of Century in the past.)

Anyway, Rob loaded it up on a windy day and shot it first at 50 yards in order to get a rough sight in. I gather that these were the first round he shot through the rifle. After pushing the front sight post to the right about one turn on his sight tool, then cranking it down about one turn, he had it shooting pretty much center mass with bullet strikes touching. He then moved it out to 100 yards, and even in the wind was getting groups that looked to me to be less than 2 MOA! He shot it at 300 yards, and was getting groups that looked to be about the size of your hand, and then was having solid hits at 500 yards after he figured out the wind hold-off!

Century might be on to something here! Rob Ski seems to think so, and I expect to see an extended test in the offing. I know that am interested.

If no metallurgy issues come to light this promises to be a good rifle. And I bet that Atlantic's $775.00 price won't last long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally I love wasr’s for the right price but I can’t understand why century can never get the mag wells right. Always too tight or way too loose. Century passing the 5k test wouldn’t be a bet I would take

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one thing that sort of puts me off is that "BFT 47" logo that appears on the right side of the receiver ahead of the mag well. I really wish this obsession that firearms manufacturers have with filling any flat surface on their products with big logos would get out of their collective systems! I would be tempted, if I were to own one of these, to rattle-can the thing to get rid of that logo.

Or maybe (we can hope) that Century thinks they may have finally built a product that they are proud to prominently put their name on. Yep, I'm hard on Century too, but I do own, and have owned, other Century builds, and have either gotten rid of them because of poor quality, or have spent time or money on fixing things and/or replacing parts that never should have left their facility. The only exception, so far, is the Zastava M70 underfolder that I traded in to, but then again it was actually built by Dan Coonan.

I guess we'll see, huh?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Meh

I wonder why they changed the front trunion rivet pattern?

All combloc rifles made with a bulged front trunion have the one up two down rivet pattern.
Another "meh" vote and a hard pass. Given century's past QC and customer service problems I would not want to be a beta tester or owner of one of their pos in house build rifles. YouTube influencer video notwithstanding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The one thing that sort of puts me off is that "BFT 47" logo that appears on the right side of the receiver ahead of the mag well. I really wish this obsession that firearms manufacturers have with filling any flat surface on their products with big logos would get out of their collective systems! I would be tempted, if I were to own one of these, to rattle-can the thing to get rid of that logo.

Or maybe (we can hope) that Century thinks they may have finally built a product that they are proud to prominently put their name on. Yep, I'm hard on Century too, but I do own, and have owned, other Century builds, and have either gotten rid of them because of poor quality, or have spent time or money on fixing things and/or replacing parts that never should have left their facility. The only exception, so far, is the Zastava M70 underfolder that I traded in to, but then again it was actually built by Dan Coonan.

I guess we'll see, huh?
I had a cetme from century. Mic drop…

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Rob says in his video that Century just sent him this rifle out of the blue, so to speak. Rob says that he didn't buy it or request that it be sent to him for review. Century just sort of stuck their neck out, so to speak, and included a note with the rifle, so to speak, that went something like "F.U. Rob! We hope you choke on it!" - tongue-in-cheek I presume. (Rob has been pretty much a critic of Century in the past.)
Getting some strong Project Elsest Son vibes there, I dont know that I would have risked it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Century has a nasty rep that they earned, Turning a bad rep around is very hard, earning a bad rep is easy ! The days of selling AK's that the experts rave about after 30 rds. are long over. If any AK manufacture that wants to sell in todays market they better have their act together !

·
Registered
285 Posts
With Romania sharing a 613 KM border with the Ukraine I doubt any WASR's will be coming to the USA for some time!
The new Biden administration sanctions on Russia will also have an impact on imports.
Turkey appears to be siding with the Ukraine so all those Turkish made shotguns, pistols, etc. may also be in short supply soon.
Nothing about a major conflict is going to be good for our wallets.

·
Registered
198 Posts
With Romania sharing a 613 KM border with the Ukraine I doubt any WASR's will be coming to the USA for some time!
The new Biden administration sanctions on Russia will also have an impact on imports.
Turkey appears to be siding with the Ukraine so all those Turkish made shotguns, pistols, etc. may also be in short supply soon.
Nothing about a major conflict is going to be good for our wallets.
Meh. It isn't like either side is lacking for rifles and even if they were, any conflict would probably be too short for new production to make an impact. Maybe Romania could send 7.62x39 rifles to Ukraine but no way Turkish factories are going to retool from cheap shotguns, rifles, and pistols to something Ukraine would fight with.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Meh. It isn't like either side is lacking for rifles and even if they were, any conflict would probably be too short for new production to make an impact. Maybe Romania could send 7.62x39 rifles to Ukraine but no way Turkish factories are going to retool from cheap shotguns, rifles, and pistols to something Ukraine would fight with.
At the last Shot Show CANIK was displaying some of their military products line.
They build .50 cal Brownings, MP5's, HK33's etc.
Turkey manufactures the small arms for their military.
They also make decent quality ammunition.
ROARM produces a LOT more than just AK's:
ROARM Military product line

·
Registered
198 Posts
At the last Shot Show CANIK was displaying some of their military products line.
They build .50 cal Brownings, MP5's, HK33's etc.
Turkey manufactures the small arms for their military.
They also make decent quality ammunition.
ROARM produces a LOT more than just AK's:
ROARM Military product line
You haven't demonstrated that:
1. Ukraine needs small arms now (it's the easiest thing to get right and they've had 8 years to prepare) OR there will be a conflict that lasts long enough for significant small arms attrition and time for new weapons deliveries
2. Ukraine would want guns that factories are currently making OR factories would retool to make what Ukraine wants

Unless at least one part of both 1 and 2 are correct, I don't think it's going to matter.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts