AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some areas of the country are more vulnerable to this than others. In Phoenix, it's already been demonstrated what's going to happen if we don't get gasoline. For those that don't know or remember, a pipeline carrying fuel from the west broke. It was repaired in a few hours, but the PERCEPTION of a coming shortage made people change their buying habits, and run out and top off their car (I know I did). Quantitatively, there was no shortage, but with the surge in sales supply dried up, completely, for about a week. All the gas stations in town had yellow tape around the pumps.

I think it's the biggest possible 'disaster' for this part of the country since we don't have earthquakes/floods/hurricanes/tornados.

What's your plan?

·
Registered
621 Posts
my plans for the shtf do not envolve gas any more that they have to. This means getting to a safe location then no more gas....I do nto owna generator, When I buy a house I may buy a generator for hurricanes and all that jazz. Btu I dont think things are gonna be like "Lights out" when it all goes down. If I cant carry it, I do not plan for it in tshtf, I dont stockpile MREs, or anything, but I do keep a few days worth of canned food and dry goods in my apt at all times. If I leave I will take enought food to last a day or so but as soon as I hit the woods I will be hunting/ fishing and the like.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just the start of rumors of gas shortages will make a shortage happen. I read that in Miami last year. There was a email going around telling that the gas stations would stop selling gas at midnight. So everyone was lining up at the pumps.

A generator would be useful for someone with a family. I don't see it useful for myself. Being that I live by myself in a house.
Having one and running it during a event may cause unwelcome people to your property too. Hearing one running will spark their interests and that could lead to other things too.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I wouldnt turn my family away....But sorry people, this is for me and mine and thats the way look at it.....If they wanna tango with this .308 and the other guns that would be firing at them then thats thier choice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
No1Here said:
A generator would be useful for someone with a family. I don't see it useful for myself. Being that I live by myself in a house.
Having one and running it during a event may cause unwelcome people to your property too. Hearing one running will spark their interests and that could lead to other things too.
You are absolutely correct on that! We had what was left of a hurricane roll through here a year or two ago, and were without power for 5 days. My neighbor had his generator going almost the whole time, and it was kind of funny, but with no power to run anything in the house, all I could hear was his damn generator running! If I were a "desperate person in a desperate situation," I would be naturally drawn to that sound. Just something to think about! Might want to park one of these in the front yard for good measure :twisted:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess one of things I have been giving thought to, is how do I maximize my abiltiy to get around, when everyone else is out of fuel? I'm not going to hunt for food in the urban area I live in, so whatever I don't have on hand, I'm going to get from someplace else. Am I going to walk, or ride? Obviously there are security issues with being the only one on the road, or with fuel and an operating vehicle, but I can handle that.

~Gas and diesel come in to this part of the world in the same pipe, so if that's broke, neither is coming in... but consumption rates are different, so if you have a diesel, you may be better off because there are fewer people to compete with for diesel.

~I think storage is better with diesel (info?)

~I've been looking at converting at least one of my cars to multi-fuel (natural gas). Different infrastucture.

~I have a dual-sport motorcycle that gets pretty good mileage (50-70mpg), but I may feel pretty vulnerable in '*****' country.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
762BODYDROPPER said:
my plans for the shtf do not envolve gas any more that they have to.
Mine either. Which brings me back to my question...

This means getting to a safe location then no more gas....I do nto owna generator, When I buy a house I may buy a generator for hurricanes and all that jazz.
It sounds like you don't have so much to look after. I have a family, and a son who lives across town with his mom. He WILL be in a place where is safe, or at least has a fighting chance. I may even offer the spawn of satan that my son calls 'mom' refuge, since my boy seems to like her.

Btu I dont think things are gonna be like "Lights out" when it all goes down.
I think the residents of New Orleans may have a different opinion on that.

Vulnerabilities are different for different areas. For N.O., it was weather. That's not an issue where I am. If we loose power for more than two days, or fuel stops flowing, things are going to go sideways where I am. Water will also be an issue here. With fuel, I can get much of the other things that I need.

A little planning now can put you head and shoulders above the masses when it comes to taking care of your family.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
We had a hurricane through here three years ago that put us without power for eleven days. We were the LAST area in our city to get power back! (No politicians live on my dead end. :wink: )
Back then I had an old RV with a small genset. ALL my neighbors have gensets as well. I've got a few jerry cans that I keep filled with gas & preservative and we always top off the bikes and car and such before a storm. It was like camping for a week and a half. I let my wife monopolize the hot showers in the RV. The rest of us had tepid showers in the house. We had our fridge, a week or more worth of food, computer and TV and stuff up. Just couldn't run 220 vac loads. Since I live on a street where everyone has the good sense to stay prepared, it worked out fine. Our kids and others helped some of the older neighbors clean the debris from their propertys. We did alot of ourdoor grilling. No one went hungry. After a few days of clean up I got bored as heck. My shop was out of business with no 220 volts! That was annoying.
I still have a section of smashed fence I need to fix from that! It's behind the shed so I never think of it. :neutral:
Sold the RV for a new truck two years ago. I have a good 220 volt genset now and built an extension cord that will allow me to run the shop equipment off it. It'll handle my big compressor or my welding machine if need be. The truck and the car become a "fuel tank" and I run errands if need be on my sidecar rig to save gas.
There are apartments and townhouses a few blocks away filled with many sheeple types. But our little street is a dead end on a creek. Not many ways in here. So if a crowd ever came around they'd be met with a bunch of protective Crackers with arms to protect their properties.

·
Registered
621 Posts
EOD, When I said thins arent gonna be like lights out I was talking about the SHTF book written by HALFAST http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ if you havent read it click on that link and look down for the link to "LIGHTS OUT" by HALF FAST. It's a pretty good read untill the end, it takes a dive in the last chapter or 2.

And as for having others to take care of. I have a wife, son thats 3 and a daughter thats 1. I have a place to bug to with family and close friends where we would be in no need of guns, ammo or trained people to use them. I would use to gas to get to my parents house, to pick up the remainder of my shtf equipment then we would move together to the bug out location, which is in a very rural area of west georgia.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wow, nobody has a bicycle, or horses? If the lights go out and the gas dries up long term, all the machines and gadgets ain't worth shit. You better now how to operate like a grunt with no batteries.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
762BODYDROPPER said:
EOD, When I said thins arent gonna be like lights out I was talking about the SHTF book written by HALFAST
My mistake, I'm wasn't familiar with that book.

Mike, I do have a bike, and there are some things it would be good for; taking people to find medical care or transporting supplies not being among them. The longer I can keep my options open the better. Fresh out of horse.

Horses are multi-purpose. When the Kazaks are done riding them, they eat them... and like it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yes I agree, taking care of wounded would be a bitch.

Holding a compress on a sucking chest wound while somebody is riding on the handle bars would be tough. :lol:

Mmmmmmm, come here Mr. Ed.
Wilber, what's with the fork and aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
389 Posts
+1 on the sidecar!

Althought I do enjoy riding my mountain bike.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I dont have much but I have stored 30 gallons of gas - this wont help much if there is NO gas but if there is a short supply or rationing then maybe my 30 gallons will help me get along better than everyone else.

I dont currently have a generator but Im looking to hopfully buy one in the next week or so. I have 2 kids and wife that are going to be mighty upset without power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts