AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of building an AK and have access to a shop press. What jigs would be the most cost effective to buy for a build of a pre-bent receiver.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You will need to remove the barrel by pressing out the barrel cross pin. So you will need an AK Barrel Pin Tool from Gunthings.
What size ram does your press have?
And when you get the pin out you will need something to press out the barrel. I would suggest using a 3/8 grade 8 bolt about 5" long (cheep & it works) with a steel nut and a brass nut to protect the barrel.
You will need a trigger guard rivet jig if you are working from a shop you could make one of these.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f163/tg-jig-plans-37342/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool,

The ram is 1 1/2"

I will look into the jigs. I research building an ak every once and a while then forget everything. I think I just need to get a kit and do it.

As for the jigs. Do I just need a long rivet jig and a trigger jig. Or do I need the $250 jig from akbuilder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so correct me if I am wrong.

I would need

Rivet tool (bolt cutter) ~$40
long rivet jig ~$50
trigger jig ~$65 or diy

or

ak builder jig ~$250
trigger jig ~65

Would the first setup be good enough or should I spend the money for the bottom one.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
There's also always the original Plinkers jig.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f202/ak-riveters-38938/

This will do everything the AK builder jig will do for a whole lot less, apparently. $255 for the rivet jig, long rivet jig and trigger guard jig.

As always, there are ways to work around the cost... but the jigs make life a lot easier.

$10 bolt cutter from harbor freight and about 2-3 hrs of elbow grease. You can modify vise jaws for a trigger guard jig if you have a drill and some punches for next to nothing (if you already have the vise) just time involved. The barrel pin, 9 times out of 10 can be knocked out with a hammer, punch and a solid base. etc etc.

Even better if you can find somebody near you that already has all that stuff and can help out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah

I checked out the original plinker. That looks like a good deal. I have money but building ak's isn't a huge priority for me. Just want to try it out. But will spend the extra money for the tools to do it right rather than cheap out and be less than pleased with the results. I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy a press for just ak building and the occasional wheel bearing but now that I now that I can get access to one it makes the process a bit more appealing.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Just sell your jigs when your done building and you should be able to recoup most of the money you spent on them. Especially if your only going to use them once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts