AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I've been out of the AK market for awhile. Last one I bought was an Waffen Werks 74 because it was one of few AKs in between Arsenal and Century prices. I remember not long ago the Romanians used to be around 3-500$ but they often had issues like key-holing, canted sights etc. People were willing to accept some risk because they were cheap, but does anyone know if Century ever got their act together now that they are marketing them directly against Arsenals?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Canted sights yes but they never had keyholing issues. Only guns that had those issues were the ones built here using wrong barrels and all those were either the Polish or Bulgarian 74 versions.

You can still run into canted sights, that never really went away and it's not limited to Romanian rifles. Plenty of Arsenals have them to. The rule of thumb is if you can adjust the front post then it's not canted. Otherwise the Romanians seem to have gotten better with their mag well opening (another Century related issue not the manufacturer). Wood finish seems a little better

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
For the money you would spend on a wasr you could buy a SAR-1, Cur-1, MK-1. They are nicer in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm going to find out today. My FFL just called and my WASR from Atlantic is in. I'm chomping at the bit to leave work and go pick it up. I'll post my thoughts on it after I wring it out.

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
The difference being dimples on the SAR but neutered barrel at the muzzle and bayo lug. Only a +/- if it matters to the buyer. WASR new furniture is pretty soft.
Otherwise not too much difference in price.., though SAR shopping is a harder find.

WASR will be more common and can be had in unused condition more readily. SAR might be light or heavy use etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Romanian rifles are imported by Century, from Cugir. They don't do much, other than mess with the mag well, which makes the rifles double stack. Century's line of rifles are all US made, and have a terrible reputation, for the most part. Perception appears to be reality with these rifles. The best thing to do is get one and find out for yourself!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Guys,

Newb here with my first stamped AK, other is a milled C39. Just got this WASR about 2 hours ago and it looks good overall. I'm not sure about the rails though, is this rail width/depth and contour normal or jacked? it seems to have a gouged out area?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Looks like mine. Looks like several of mine, in fact. Shoot it and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The rail on the right side rail that the BC rides on is not very deep or uniforms and has a sharp angle ground into it up front. You can see it best in the first and second pic. Almost like there's not so much support for the BC when it's closed. Normal? Matters? Purpose?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe he is talking about the top right side of the receiver right behind the front trunion.
Yes, and the full length of the rail just isn't uniform like the left side. Kinda not straight and not very wide/deep I guess I would say. Like there's not much holding the BC on the right side.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Take measurements across the width of the receiver. I guess about every inch looking for uniformity. Then it's simply either fine or it's not. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks fellas, I'll just shoot the hell out of it. Just used to looking at the milled rails I guess. Other than that everything looks great and the rifle feels very solid. Nice looking rivets, sight post and gas block are all lined up and various mags lock up with very little wobble, actually, none with Magpul. To be honest, it's built better than I ever expected.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts