AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing not but wanted to ask, anyway...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm not an expert in North Korean stuff by any stretch, but I have done some reading on their military R&D partners (for things like semi-submersible boats, rockets, etc). I don't think any of them have needed rifles, and certainly not in 5.45 (where would they even get the ammo?). North Korea doesn't even have its entire military outfitted with 5.45 weapons, I imagine they don't have enough manufacturing capability to export them in any large numbers.

Just my gut feeling, though, like I said. :smile:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm shocked! :smile:

Do you have any more info? What African countries? Any pix??

And where are those people getting ammo? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
739 Posts
A couple months ago, I saw a TV news report from the Sudan, and I'm fairly certain that the guns some of the soldiers there were carrying, were the North Korean Type 88 AK-74 sidefolder. You could only see the guns for a split second though, but the profile of them looked very much like the NK 88.

Would make sense though, since the Sudanese had previously bought the Type 68 AKM from North Korea in the 1980s.

-Dan-

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
CumbiaDude said:
I'm shocked! :smile:

Do you have any more info? What African countries? Any pix??

And where are those people getting ammo? :mrgreen:
Not that shocking, really. North Korea has been exporting to many African clients for quite a long time. Their Type 88 series rifles aren't that modern anymore and they've been exporting them for a while now. Ammunition isn't a problem as, no doubt, their arms deals have arrangements for re-supply. Or they can get it from a number of other places (Russia, Eastern Europe, etc.).

Some old photos:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes, they've exported their Type 88 (AK74) rifles. Some of their clients are in Africa.
I read that when Ethiopia's attempt to purchase and license produce the Russian AK-103 failed, the North Koreans sold them Type 88s, though a relative small number.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
North Korea has made dealings with the scum in Zimbabwe. Not sure if weapons were involved but if you're desperately trying to make friends, I'm sure some guns get tossed out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts