AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys here's what I got. I have had this set for a year and finally took an knee injury to get me some spare time to try to get this on a Milled MAK 90 I have. Slant cut non the less. I had it profiled for the Buttplate. You can get them with a rubber pad installed from Ironwood. But I wanted the origanal look Close as possible. The problem is when the buttplate is put on the stock the stocks has predrilled counter sunk holes where Im sure they put it in a Live center when they was being lathed . The predrilled holes are offset half way where my buttplate wood screws should be going. If you ever had an Ironwood Im sure you know what Im talking about. I guess I can mill me a small flat for my wood screw to pick up at and hope to get anough bite to hold well. I could get longer screws.. But I sure paid out the ass from KVAR for some Milled Buttplate AK 47 screws. LOL.. :sad: .. Just a wondering thang... :neutral: WarDawg

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have done a bunch of these and just did a slant cut milled butt a few weeks ago.

I had no problems at all fitting the BP to it.

I am really not sure I understand what is going on with your stock.

What type of buttplate are you using?

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
I'm with Z, I fitted mine with a swiss army knife. The Ironwood that I did just needed a little tweaking here and there. I used the plate off of a Rommy and it fits well. I did have to scrap the functioning tool kit door as mine was on a milled slant MAK. [Has a through bolt like a Yugo] The door is still there, it just does not function. The hardest part was trimming the lower hand guard for the metal escutcheon at the rear. This is my first attempt at staining also.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I was in a rush when I typed that one. I was headed out the door. Let me explain. I ordered a Bulgarian ( Milled AK47 ) Butt plate. The butt plate has two ea holes where the wood screws would go through to hold the buttplate to the stock. The rear of the stock has three ea holes already in it. One in the center is for the long bolt that hold it to the reciver. The two on opposite ends from each other are drill and deeply chamfered. That would be for the live center to hold the stock when it was being machined. When I place the buttplate on the stock the buttplate holes and the two ea holes in the wood are offset( Not lined up.)( not even close.). Just anough to be a pain. Are yall telling me yours wasn't like this ???? Thanks for the input guys.... Wardawg

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got an IM from a good guy name RAMBOSKY over at ARFCOM. His Slant cut reciever holes was off set also. He just used longer screws to insure a good hold on the plate. I guess thats what Im going to do. Thanks guys WarDawg

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Is your BP ribbed by chance?

Maybe you have the BP for the plastic butts.

The screw holes are farther apart(closer to the ends) of the BP.

This is a regular screw pattern.

This one is for the plastic butts.

Notice how the screw holes are closer to the edge on the bottom BP.

It also takes smaller screws.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Z_recto said:
Is your BP ribbed by chance?

Maybe you have the BP for the plastic butts.

The screw holes are farther apart(closer to the ends) of the BP.

This is a regular screw pattern.

This one is for the plastic butts.

Notice how the screw holes are closer to the edge on the bottom BP.

It also takes smaller screws.
Bingo.. Thats it. I have the ribbed. You see what Im talking about. I have an olr SAR 2 stock with the trapdoor plate I can take off and use. The ribbed looks better but the holes don't match up at all. Off set just anough to be difficult. Thanks, Z_recto........................ WarDawg

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
WarDawg, if you still want to use the buttplate you have, you can always fill in the existing holes using a wooden dowel glued in place, then redrill new holes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just notice Z recto is in South Carolina... LOL.. I just took the rommie butt plate off a SAR 1 stock I had and modified the trap door palte alittle and cut a knotch in the new stock the accept the hing area and whamo... FIXED... Thanks guys.... WarDawg

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
LOL.

You know our state motto in SC is "Standing Alone Against Northern Aggression Since 1861." :lol:

Us Southron boys need to stick rogether.

Glad you got it figured out wardawg.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks for putting it in 'southern' as my set shipped the 7th! I guess I will be the next one to try the directions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts