AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Waaaaaaayyy too much IMO.

I never follow the 556 AK market but I cant imagine anything special going on to warrant very high prices.

If its an exceptional build then you need to provide a bunch of closeups of the work.

Otherwise spend time doing some research so you'll have a better idea of the AK market pricing.

Good luck

Harv

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
It's not too high, if your in a ban scare. ;)

Seriousally though, that's a little steep. Even though you have done a lot of work to it, it's a saiga. Plain and simple. Alot of people still look at those as $350 rifles...no matter how much you have into it.

Another drawback is the caliber. 556 AKs just don't seem to sell as well or for as much as 545 or 762 rifles. Sweet rifle though and good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Sir, you sound like you are honestly and genuinely interested in knowing about the true value of your rifle, and since you have asked on an open forum where it would be valued, and why, there's no reason not to comment about the qualities of this particular rifle.

The problem with selling this here among knowledgeable people at a high price is not really the caliber, or the fact it's a Saiga. In fact, if this was a full blown conversion to military specs it would be worth much more than your asking price.

However, it's not. For instance, where are the bayonet lugs, proper trigger guard (not a welded up thing?), and what kind of lower handguard retainer is that (obviously the barrel parts were never replaced or even removed to put a military handguard retainer on the barrel)? There are any number of other military parts that you would need to install or replace to actually consider this getting close to mil-spec rather than being just a "I did as little as I could get away with" conversion, but one key element will always be missing, so you'd be spinning your wheels doing any more to it. Let me explain. .

Above all else, the receiver has no magwell dimples so you will never get the added value of what a proper AK-101 build would sell for, no matter what else you do to it. Not having magwell dimples won't affect operation or make it shoot more accurately, but it does put this rifle in a lesser category, basically a "not suitable for a full-bore military conversion" status.

But in any case, it's a real nice looking rifle and I'm sure it's a great shooter, too, right? Almost all Saiga rifles are, and the .223's are especially accurate and reliable when compared against other 5,56/.223 AK-based offerings. To put it simply, Saiga's are Kalashnikovs just like any other commercial "AK' (none of which are technically "AK's" anyway), regardless of what stock they arrived with. Saiga's are also some of the best built, most reliable, accurate and smoothly functioning commercially available Kalashnikovs sold in this country. The deeper engineering put into them to ensure reliability using these skinny, finnicky US rounds places them one step above others, like the Chinese, Romanian or even Bulgarian .223 AK rifles.

Priced properly, I think you could sell this one to an average guy looking for a good shooter in .223 without much difficulty, but it may have to be a local FB or gun show type thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm what you could call a Saiga enthusiast seeing that I have converted 8 Saigas to be identical to the Russian Military AKs (the only exception being that they're missing the evil third pin).

this looks identical to one of my Saigas I had before conversion. There was a Saiga offered for sale in the states that was missing the gas block lug and had the bayonet lug's sides ground flush so that a bayonet couldn't be attached to the rifle. I believe it was called an IZ-480 IIRC, but it DID have the Russian handguard retainer. If your Saiga's FSB lug is missing it's "ears", this is most likely the model rifle you own.

For what it's worth, here are my recommendations (many items are repeating the advice posted above), so hopefully it will help bring yiu some success in your sale!

1. Post the clearest pictures you possibly can, and make sure you post many, many pictures so that the features you spent money on can be appreciated!

2. I wouldn't advertise it your Saiga as a "Military Spec" rifle since there are a few things that need be changed to be considered an AK-100 series (FSB, GB, HG Retainer, Trigger Guard, ect.). It's better for a buyer to look for what upgrades have been done and think "those are great upgrades" instead of noticing any inaccuracies in a conversion and feeling less confident about the purchase, and then wondering what ELSE isn't Military Spec., so I would change the ad to say "Converted Saiga for sale" instead of "AK-100 Series for sale".

3. Always use he market to determine your selling price. See what other .223 Saigas are selling for to determine your asking price. If you can't look up any prior sales, look to see what retailers are selling the same rifle for.

Good luck with your sale!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
To be terse, you're asking top dollar for a bottom dollar conversion on a less desirable dimpleless receiver.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
If your Saiga's FSB lug is missing it's "ears", this is most likely the model rifle you own.
The FSB on this rifle is not something that would have been installed by Izhmash on a Saiga rifle as it's not a modern pattern. If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably a Bulgarian take-off.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Damn, I wish I could think of a way to work out a deal with you on this. Any trades considered?

In the case of your rifle, so little is known by the general public about these (and so few were imported) that it works against you. Most look at it and all they see is a converted Saiga.

Also, the higher the value goes on stuff the smaller the number of folks who can actually afford it, no matter if it's worth that much or not, or if it's a rifle or a 930 Turbo. On high dollar items, you just have to be a little more patient until the right buyer comes along. or often enough you already know who that "right buyer" is before you ever get started, lol!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Hate to say this, but I always look at Arsenal for comparison in situation like these. Their 5.56 rifles, though Bulgarian not Russian, are around $1k, and have all the 'proper' attributes like the lugged GB, FSB, dimpled receiver, etc. that others have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Since you asked...

Price is insane. You are asking top dollar for a Saiga conversion that wasn't really done all the way. Your rifle is what I'd call "shooter grade"... basically someone who buys it won't care about the details that it is missing (detailed below) because they just want a AK to go shooting with.. but that type of buyer isn't going to pay your "collector grade" price. And collectors arent going to be interested because of the issues it has.

For it to have a chance at being worth $1800 you would need to weld up the old trigger holes, rivet on the right trigger guard and mag release, and swap out the gas block to one with an accessory lug. And use all proper Russian parts.

Aside from the folding stock, your rifle seems like too many corners were cut to make it worth more than $1000 or so. No one is going to spend a premium price for your rifle when they can get a SLR106 for like $1100 from kvar.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Brasshound5.56, when you read everybodys response don't get discouraged. You have to remember that you came to a forum that has members that have the best of the best. Anything out of the ordinary for them is noticed and addressed. These are hard core collectors that know their stuff and notice the small, minute details. So, even though you think your rifles is good, to these collectors it's not even close to being correct yet.

If you asked on some other forums, namely some that have no clue on the difference between a saiga and 83 74 rifle, you will get a generic response. Keep that in mind and don't take offence to anything said here. Just constructive critism.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The FSB on this rifle is not something that would have been installed by Izhmash on a Saiga rifle as it's not a modern pattern. If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably a Bulgarian take-off.
Thanks for the clarification Tantal! I couldn't make out whether the OP's Saiga had the lightening cuts in the FSB or not.

Just to close the loop, the Izhmash-manufactured Saiga that came from the factory with the Russian FSB (with ground-down ears) and GB (with no bayonet lug) I believe was an IZ-332. Here's a picture of the FSB that came stock on it...

image.jpg

The threads are beneath the shroud...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
This is definitely not the place to try to sell it. Most guys here have an uncanny eye for detail and are sticklers for authenticity for the most part. If you want to sell something like that here, you have to go all out and make sure everything is done properly and that usually requires a considerable investment and time. The upside to that is the collector grade stuff will get what it's actually worth here unlike everywhere else where you'll be low balled. I'd say get in some groups on facebook or post it on something local for the best response. Maybe even gunbroker. You'll get people who aren't as bothered by little details, but again the downside is that they won't be willing to shell out that kind of money, so you'll have to let it go for less more than likely. You kind of have to figure out which market to play and how to go about it when selling firearms and there are a lot of times where you'll have to take a slight loss if you want to move it in a decent amount of time. Otherwise, hold on to it until closer to the elections and you'll probably get a better price. I feel like people are getting wise to that cycle though, so I doubt we'll see quite as massive a panic as the last few.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
This is definitely not the place to try to sell it. Most guys here have an uncanny eye for detail and are sticklers for authenticity for the most part. If you want to sell something like that here, you have to go all out and make sure everything is done properly and that usually requires a considerable investment and time. The upside to that is the collector grade stuff will get what it's actually worth here unlike everywhere else where you'll be low balled. I'd say get in some groups on facebook or post it on something local for the best response. Maybe even gunbroker. You'll get people who aren't as bothered by little details, but again the downside is that they won't be willing to shell out that kind of money, so you'll have to let it go for less more than likely. You kind of have to figure out which market to play and how to go about it when selling firearms and there are a lot of times where you'll have to take a slight loss if you want to move it in a decent amount of time. Otherwise, hold on to it until closer to the elections and you'll probably get a better price. I feel like people are getting wise to that cycle though, so I doubt we'll see quite as massive a panic as the last few.
Best post in the whole thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys may want to take a closer look, bayo lugs are there FSB was a Russian bit ordered from Legion, all Russian parts are from Legion and I have receipts. U may not be able to see the lugs in the pic but it works just fine and with the included bayonet. As it goes the lower handguard retainer u are absolutely correct. It's an aftermarket part I couldn't find a Russian to save my life. There are NO "cheap" bulgarian parts on this rifle though. I've decided to raffle the rifle anyhow but thanks for all the input, constructive and otherwise. I will post a pic of the B. Lug later to clarify. And yeah I was wondering if the dimples were going to make a difference. I know it's a saiga but the parts were really hard to find and pretty pricey. 18 may be high so if it doesn't end up getting raffled I will sell it for 1250-14 to get my $ back on the build. And finally, yes it is a great shooter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Y'all hate my Archer too? Well shucks, I was pretty excited about showing u guys my stuff:/ I dont really have anybody in my life to show. I'll come back when I Don't have a bunch of junk. I really did think my rifle was pretty good I put 1200 into it to get the Russian parts cuz I thought it would fetch a premium from a collector. Turns out it just made me look like a douche.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Y'all hate my Archer too? Well shucks, I was pretty excited about showing u guys my stuff:/ I dont really have anybody in my life to show. I'll come back when I Don't have a bunch of junk. I really did think my rifle was pretty good I put 1200 into it to get the Russian parts cuz I thought it would fetch a premium from a collector. Turns out it just made me look like a douche.
Douches don't know when (or acknowledge that) they are being douches. You're not a douche.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No need to act like your a victim.. you asked for feedback, and you got it.

Your rifle is fine. It just isn't an $1800 rifle. You may be able to get your $1200 back if you are patient. But you will always be competing with the $1000 or so Bulgarian guns. Having a high starting price is probably pushing away some buyers, because they don't think you will negotiate down to a more realistic price.

It's good to use Russian parts, but to get even close to your $1800 price... the conversion needed to be done completely. You just kind of went half way with it. Nothing wrong with that, lots of guys do it and end up with great rifles. They just aren't rifles that sell for a premium.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts