AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll

I was out shooting the other day and noticed my handguard fell off. There always was a fair amount wiggle room for the retaining cap. I considered applying some J&P weld as a hill-billy fix, another option is a new barrel hopefully with less metal cut out for the retaining cap pin to have a tighter fit. The rifle is a c39 v1.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any other options I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Pic of handguard on rifle would be helpful.

Many handguards have a metal spring in them to compansate for movement/tightness. Perhaps that's what you need.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,586 Posts
Hey ya'll

I was out shooting the other day and noticed my handguard fell off.
What was your first clue...:grin:?

LMAO....sorry!

evolixsurf has the right answer...a shim will work made from practically any material

Welcome to The AK Forum

·
Registered
373 Posts
No JP weld ever on the old AK. And no duct tape either. It's to shiny! :cool:

If it's the gas tube, there are shims you can buy like 22many stated. A lot of gun makers are sending their guns out with them already installed. If it just the wood or poly hand guard that's coming out then like evolixsurf said, fashion a U-shaped piece of material to take up the slack.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Threads like this keep the constant fear of US made AK's fresh in my mind. I have never heard of the lower hand guard being so loose it just fell off. Please tell me this is not the original hand guard that your rifle was shipped with.

Shim it, or look for a longer one. Sometimes you can find ones that are a little longer or shorter (that is why they were often serialized by various countries).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Threads like this keep the constant fear of US made AK's fresh in my mind. I have never heard of the lower hand guard being so loose it just fell off. Please tell me this is not the original hand guard that your rifle was shipped with.

Shim it, or look for a longer one. Sometimes you can find ones that are a little longer or shorter (that is why they were often serialized by various countries).
Great answers! I really appreciate it. I'll be trying a shim and maybe a longer handguard in the future.
Yea, I hate to tell you this is the original handguard. I think the notch was cut too deep in the barrel causing the pin to not provide sufficient force against the barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts