AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes and no. A milled lower handguard should fit into any stamped receiver with little modification. A stamped receiver lower handguard tab will have to be narrowed to fit into the milled receiver's smaller opening.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Also the ferrles differ between the two
Milled looks like a common type three ... has a little step in the sides.
Stamped has no step kind like a yugo ferrle.

Its an an easy way to ID them regardless of what the sellers saying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Need one for a milled and wasn’t positive if would work or not. No hurry I’ll find the right deal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Matt from Ironwood Designs here,

Stamped and Milled MAK hand guards are technically not interchangeable.
Stamped have a slightly different barrel channel, as well as a different rear tab, ( rectangular section that inserts into front of receiver ) .
Milled lower hand guards are actually a little thicker in the body.
Also, as posted earlier, the caps are different as well. Stamped have straight walled sides, Milled have indents.
Openings for the tabs are different, milled smaller, stamped wider.

If you put a milled lower into a stamped MAK 90, the tab will have gaps in the front of the receiver,

I've made these parts for 27 years, so I thought I would chime in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Matt, excellent information and you make assume products. Anybody able to post a pic of an actual milled MAK front hand guard on? When I traded for my milled, I new they weren’t correct but I felt I could eventually find some in the marketplace or buy an Ironwood set. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I have a spare milled one non spike
If you send your number I’ll text you photos

Nice .... I switched to spike cut one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts