AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they dead forever? They were the first forum I ever belonged to, I joined in the late 90's. They fell out of favor with me after they crashed one time and never bothered to rejuvenate their e-mail, which I was using for my main contacts. I see they went down the same time as AKfiles and FALFiles, but aren't back. Any insiders know what's up? Does anbody even care?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I used to love that place too. I haven't been there in probably 5 years. It went downhill a long time ago. Used to read AKfiles and the other half of Barfcom too but I got tired of the BS and just checked their for sale sections on and off for a long time. Now I rarely go anywhere else but here and Funbroker for AK related stuff.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Don't know. I joined I think in 2000.
Some cool people, Redstar (rip) ferd,Igor in the Russian forum. After those guys it was never the same.
I joined this forum soon after it started by invite, also gunco and files. I sometime poke my head in here and there when I'm bored but this is home AK base

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Are they dead forever? They were the first forum I ever belonged to, I joined in the late 90's. They fell out of favor with me after they crashed one time and never bothered to rejuvenate their e-mail, which I was using for my main contacts. I see they went down the same time as AKfiles and FALFiles, but aren't back. Any insiders know what's up? Does anbody even care?
Their server crashed and is being replaced is the word I got. Don't know how long that takes, but it sounded like something I wouldn't want to try.

The reason you lost everything initially was the it wasn't a crash that took them out a few years ago, they had someone running their servers and literally had everything stolen out from under them, with the result in everything being lost.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The first big crash/hijack/whatever took all their archives, including doubletapme's original lengthy 2XTM threads and the first copies of it. As far as I know none of the data was ever recovered.

A lot of cool builder stuff was there, not duplicated here or anywhere else. "Gone, like tears in rain."

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My biggest gripe at the time was trying to get answers from the admins. They put me on ignore when I asked about a time line on the e-mail feature. Then they did an upgrade and I couldn't even sign on anymore. At that point I moved on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The "build it yourself" section on gunsnet was the best source of info for kit builders around 2002~2005. I was on that site and learned so much on there. They also had an awesome group buy section with such finds as the Russian/PLO kits, the $175 Bulgarian AK-74 kits (New guns cut up with the original barrel of-course) and JoeKen selling firebrick colored Bulgarian AK-74 mags for around $5 each!

Things were different just a few years ago.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joeken! I remember when they started to rip off people and the admins still were backing them. It took a while for them to get it through their heads what was going on. You either got a fantastic deal or screwed without grease by Joeken.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Joeken! I remember when they started to rip off people and the admins still were backing them. It took a while for them to get it through their heads what was going on. You either got a fantastic deal or screwed without grease by Joeken.
That is true. I was one of the lucky ones, bought lots of mags and several kits from them without problems. Worst deal I had was on a Bulgarian triangular side folder kit. They shipped it without the rear trunnion/locking mechanism. However they said parts were coming in and would ship once in stock if I wanted to keep the kit and wait. I kept it and sure enough 2~3 months later the parts arrived at my door.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar experience with Interordnance with my very first AK kit. It showed up showing a ton of wear and a top cover that had the locking hole bottom edge torn out. It was full of desert sand and IMHO didn't live up to the "Good Condition" description given. I contacted IO and asked for a replacement. They said they were out and didn't know if they'd get any more kits in. I expressed my displeasure and agreed to keep it since I wanted an AK, and didn't want to take the chance of not ever getting another.(This was back when kits first started coming in.) A couple of weeks later I find a box on my porch from IO. Inside was a beautiful Portugese G3 kit, at no charge! That was the best customer service I've ever experienced! In looking back, that beat up Romy AKM kit was probably a PLO kit, and I never realized what I had! I ended up trading it off after building it on a cheap at the time Bulgy milled receiver.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The first gun board I belonged to ,I joined in 2000.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That is exactly why I quit going to that site-they were in the tank for a ripoff artist.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I went on yesterday and tried to get on using my tag and old password. It won't let me on. I emailed them a message about it, we'll see if they respond. If you look at the join dates of the long term admins and mods, the earliest date shown is July 2010. Apparently they were pretty wiped out with the previous crash.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Yeah, I went on yesterday and tried to get on using my tag and old password. It won't let me on. I emailed them a message about it, we'll see if they respond. If you look at the join dates of the long term admins and mods, the earliest date shown is July 2010. Apparently they were pretty wiped out with the previous crash.
Actually is wasn't a crash that wiped out the old website and all the info that was on it. The site was flat out stolen from what I was told. Nothing is left from before July 2010.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts