AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always been a question of mine, might be stupid but Id like to know.

Its obvious that the normal issue weapon can be carried. But what about when you see people with side arms, can you bring your own or dose it have to be issued? Or any weapon in warfare have to be issued? id assume you couldnt drag along your ak, but im more primarily talking abut your sidearms.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Rasper said:
Always been a question of mine, might be stupid but Id like to know.

Its obvious that the normal issue weapon can be carried. But what about when you see people with side arms, can you bring your own or dose it have to be issued? Or any weapon in warfare have to be issued? id assume you couldnt drag along your ak, but im more primarily talking abut your sidearms.
I'm still not sure about this but I was talking with a guy whose son was in Georgia now in Iraq. He said his son took his Colt handgun. I asked about how and he said they would let you but you had to fill out some paper work. Now I'm not sure how credible this is but that is what I heard.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
what our doing and who your doing it for has a lot to do with it as well. Special forces guys get a lot more leeway then say your Rear echelon Mutha Effer's

·
Registered
617 Posts
I beleve that this practice has been discontinued, but in some units, VERY rarely, they would allow you to sign a personally owned weapon into the arms room, and you can be "issued" your weapon in country as long as it meets the requirements of the Laws of War.

Our XO brought a Springfield 1911A1 with him, and had it on him when we crossed the border from Kuwait into Iraq, but he put it away when we got to our FOB, and we never saw him carrying it again after we settled in.

I never saw anyone else besides the security contractors and the occasional ODA people with non-standard weapons.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's strictly forbidden by CENTCOM General Order #1. This directive was in effect when I went in 03, again in 05, and still in effect when I went last year.

It was also verboten when I did the Bosnia tour years ago.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
ahhh damn
IBTL

dont care where or how anyone served,Thanks and god bless too all the men/women of our armed services!!!

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
You can only carry what your unit issues you. Sometimes Joes carried a captured pistol (I did), or use AKs, but its still a big no no.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have personally deployed with orders that said 'personally owned weapons authorized', but it was a long time ago (1980's)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To bad they wont allow you to have a personal handgun, long as you stick to nato calibers and the rules of war.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Like others have said, its verboten. Even for SOF guys.

From the Military side it doesnt make any sense. A pistol is pretty much a last ditch weapon. Plus add in the logistics of it all. How is a Joe supposed to get .40 or some other caliber downrange? Even .45 is rare outside of certain units. Add magazines, into the mix. Just doesnt make any sense.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Stottman is 110% Right. It does not make sense. Anyone who has been downrange knows you have to work as a unit. Army of One types with thier own weapons would be a disaster. I had access to a lot of weapons, but I carried issue gear. When things go sideways you may have to cross load gear with your team members. Again does not make sense.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I propose three simple rules

1) no gigantic handguns

2) must have drop safety

3) no pimp guns*

*Everybody knows what a pimp gun looks like.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You might be able to get away with a Beretta 92F, since they look identical to M9's and you could just carry it back on the plane with all the other issued weapons. Some units might be able to get away w/ captured weapons in the field, but it depends on your command and if the brass catches you, you're in some pretty deep shit. There's a retarded amount of rules here, even in the Infantry. There's pretty much no use for a pistol out here in A-stan anyway, unless you're re-fitting on a FOB and don't wanna lug around a longarm to the chowhall. Of course all the Fobbits have brand-spanking new M9's...

We capture alot of AK's, RPG's and Enfields, but generally give them to our local ANP buddies.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
texasyid said:
Rear echelon Mutha Effer's
Scuse me bubba but it takes the remf's to make the machine roll. They are not exactly sitting at home on the couch.
Whoa man, not trying to offend here.
I'm simply borrowing a line from "Full Metal Jacket"

I claim no first hand knowledge of any of this military shit. Not my bag man.

:tokeit:

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Carrying personally aquired weapons is verboten. BUT, there was a case a year or so ago where one of our top ranking AF Generals testified before congress that he carries his own personal pistol over here because the M-9 sucks. If it were me, I'd be in a world of shit. For him, it's OK.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Shit, you would no doubt see anything, and everything if it were allowed.
S & W .500 magnums, Bersa .380 Thunders, Glock .40 cal., et al.
Plus the 1911, and everything between. :cool:

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
A few OGA/contracting outfits do have sidearms other than the M-9. But they're either issued-out from their organization or are, indeed, personal weapons but utilize the 9mm so ammunition can be drawn from the military. But very few and far between. As the guys said, personal weapons and (far the most part) carrying indigenious weapons is an overwhelming NO.

But it begs the question - why would you want to put that kind of use/abuse on your own weapon if it were allowed in Theater?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts