AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How strong/noxious are the fumes from baking gunkote and has anyone done this in the kitchen thats still married? :twisted:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Agreed.

Open some windows and turn on the vent fan. Then take your spouse out to dinner while it bakes and the fumes clear. That way she has no bad memories of the smell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Amen to both comments above...have been using the kitchen oven to 'bake' GunKote for several years and usually try to time it so that Wife is away. One thing to beware of...I once put some parts into the oven that was due a cleaning (it had some old grease on bottom that had boiled over from a pan the previous evening). Went ahead and baked the parts only to find that the grease had gotten transferred to the hot parts from the smoke the grease created when heated. I had to re-do these parts because they were uneven in color due to the grease.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yup :) Still married & all FOUR of my children have GPA's over 3.5 in College :) They used to LOVE Ham & potatoes fresh out of the oven just after a GK job :)

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Another suggestion. Get a old toaster oven at a thrift shop to use in the garage. Some of these are actually quite large for a toaster oven! Very handy.
I got a big old 1970's one for just $3. Works great. I can bake all parts on a AKM except the barreled receiver and cleaning rod. Great for refinishing mags too as well as hand guns.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I use a large toaster-oven whenever possible. But I have done oilpans, intakes, and bellhousings in the main oven. The odor will be less if you can sit the part in the sun for a day or two before baking, as it helps warm and evaporate more of the solvents.
I want to find a cheap old electric oven and dedicate to GK now, but....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. Wouldn't want my pies tasting like enamel.

Next question is if you suspend the parts or lay them on the rack/pan?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
The odor is very minimal. It's nothing like baking real paint (i.e. duplicolor) in the oven. Just open a window.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You guys are nuts ! That shit has MEK , lead and various other nasty things in it. Please invest in a old pizza oven , bubba yourself and oven or buy one like I have. I have had it for 5 years and its paid for itself 100 times over ! I keep it in the OUTSIDE shop . The oven is also a convection type [ Fan on top circlating the inside air] and you can fit a fullsize Fal upper in it to bake. Here is a link to the oven and good luck !
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46300

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have done it twice. Both times I waited until the girlfriend was away for a few days. I ran the self cleaning cycle after each bake and then used Oven Off. Seems to be clean after that.

I have a used oven on the way because a friend is upgrading. Just have to get my electrician buddy to run proper power in the garage.

Hang the parts with bent coat hangers from the racks. Don't use the painted ones. Just the cheap models you get from dry cleaners.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"That shit has MEK , lead and various other nasty things in it"

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) - evaps fast & we used to wash our hands with it in second year Organic :) On the other hand, we also had open beakers of Mercury all over the place in Electrochem :)

Lead - actually? The Molybdenum is worse :)

You're right of course - as I did more and more of this? I bought a used Lab Oven on EBAY... GREAT for GunKote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts