AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and Momma drove an hour and a half to get to the Melbourne gunshow (Fl) today. What a waste of time and gas!
On my shopping list were 7.62x39mm ammo, ak mags (of course), and a cz 52. Here's how I fared:

1)cheapest 30 rd ak mags I saw were $12 a piece and looked like they had been used to hammer nails. 30 rounders in better shape were priced at $20.00 No thanks!

2) Only Wolf ammo in the place was priced at $150.00 per 500 rds. When this idiot saw the look on my face he calmly explained why the ammo was so expensive. "Russia is not allowed to ship anymore ammo to the U.S., in 6 months you won't be able to get any! Uuuh........No thanks!

3)The one cz 52 that I saw was priced at $450.00. What?! No thanks!

Didn't see one VEPR of any caliber in the whole joint.

Just reminded me of why I stopped going to gunshows. Lol...or at least why I said I was gonna stop going. It's still fun to look around and talk to people. And Momma had a good time!

Bigcheese :animak:

Momma loves her AK's!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The gun shows around here are a waste except for the study in human behavior. The prices for almost everything is a bad joke. I did get a sweet deal on a decent soft case for my SA 1911 last time though. Like I said before I just love to trip out on the gang bangers, wannabees, Davey Crockett look-a-likes, the guy that walks around in a Soviet Army uniform (kid about 19-20), the biker trash, and of course the ubiquitous know it alls who feel that they need to comment on evey transaction they are in earshot from. In fact, get this, I picked up a crummy Romak just to check it out and the MENSA reject behind me says "thats an excellent price, you wont find a better deal!". The price was $495!. I simply say "no, it really in not a good deal"
Him: "where can you find one cheaper then?"

Me: "How about the Shotgun news?"

Him: "The what news?"

Me: "nevermind."

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm not a fan of gun shows. Too many idiots trying to rip people off...

·
Registered
551 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
about 90% of the time this is the case, if you're lucky and find the 10% you'll find a gem that the carnie seller had no idea what he was selling and you walk away with a steal. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I've been to a lot of shows in the last 20+ years, the only one I've ever gone to that was worth a crap is the Market Hall show in Dallas ... :neutral:

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
The Web has changed everything. For the better, I think.

I used to go to gunshows 10-20 years ago and pay too much for stuff (I realize it now). We couldn't share pricing information with people all over the country like now, or search completed auctions on Gunbroker, for example. Marvelous tools for determining fair market values.

I rarely go to shows any more, since I can get everything I want for the best price by shopping online.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bigcheese said:
...Only Wolf ammo in the place was priced at $150.00 per 500 rds.
Holy s**t, They're out of their minds.
Still no shortage in this area, all the shows I go to have plenty of 7.62 and 5.45.
Price has gone up slightly, I used to be able to pick it up for $99/1000.
I bought 2 cases at a show 2 weeks ago, paid $117/1000.

·
Registered
330 Posts
MauserMark said:
CornFedHusker said:
about 90% of the time this is the case, if you're lucky and find the 10% you'll find a gem that the carnie seller had no idea what he was selling and you walk away with a steal. :mrgreen:
It happens but its rare, like you said.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I got:

SVT-40, all matching with scope mount, cleaning rod and sling: $425 OTD

Polytech AK-47 with underfolder bayo, new condition, 2 Poly mags (one NIW), sling, leather carry case: $695 OTD

All matching Hungarian capture M-44: $70 OTD

There are deals out there, patience and a good eye will pay you greatly.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
I'll never go to another local gun show ever again, I havent found anything worth buying for years, I just save my money for knob creek as they have a half way decent gun show during the machine gun shoots, but even there shows have gone down hill from what they used to be. Knob creek will be nice this year i hope, I'm taking about 15K in spending cash this year, which is the most i've ever taken down there usually i bring about 2k in cash but this year i'm on the hunt for something special :wink:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Many of the old dealers that used to bring some cool stuff are just not coming to the Fl shows.
I know of one that was told flat out don't come back we are getting complaints from the other dealers that you are selling stuff too cheap and they cant compete! :shock:

I was really bummed after the last show in Jacksonville wasn't worth the time to drive over there.

Now the Orlando show was great for guns not so hot for ammo there was more wheeling and dealing at the hot don't stand that inside though :wink:

·
Registered
715 Posts
BC. If mama had a good time, then, what's to complain? :grin:

I don't know...I really think it just depends on what gun-show "Circuit" you are on...........

Around me, the "gig" seems to be outrageously overpriced USGI weapons, complete with $600 M-1905 uncuts (no sheath)...(I used to make camping knieves by cutting and grinding them as a Boy Scout fund raising activity in the mid 60s....who knew?)
But, somebody must buy them..... :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well I helped a local dealer at his table the other day, and managed to walk away with something myself.

A yugo captured K98. No Century billboard on the receiver either :mrgreen:

with a pristine bore. :bd:

gonna need a lot of cleaning and refinishing though. :twisted:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I guess it depends on where you go. This past weekend wasn't a barn-burner, but good deals were to be found.

I got 2 cases of Wolf 5.45x39 for a customer at $130.00 each(then found more at $2.00 a box), a bunch of Colt 20rd AR mags for $4.00 each & resold them all for $10.00 each. If I keep going, you guy's will think I'm bragging.... Everything I bought was during show hours, not before or during set-up.

Overall, a great weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts