AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to a local gun show with my dad today. I had recently purchased a Russian SKS and love it and have been harping my dad to get one. He did his research but never saw one that he would buy...until today.

So we look among the tables and find a gorgeous Russian SKS (the stuff of dreams). It is pretty much mint and has that amazing deep red color stock that i love. Upon inspection we find that it is a letter series gun "D" which was produced in 1956. Further more, there are no referb. marks AND the stock MATCHES! Making this gun 100% matching numbers.

Fast forward a few hours...

We get home and strip it down and I explain how it all works. I pull out the piston rod and am shocked. There is not a speck of carbon to be found. Only cosmoline. I wipe it with a clean rag. No carbon. I get excited. Then i take the white rag and run it through the gas tube. No carbon. Only cosmoline. I'm speechless. I then, in a final effort to prove to myself what is only inevitable, stick the cleaning patch into the gas block in an attempt to find some black residue. No carbon. Only cosmoline. We then check the bolt face. Absolutely no wear or markings (other that machine marks) of any kind. The ejector hadn't even been touched.

That's right. We purchased a 1956, non-refurb, 100% numbers matching, Russian letter series SKS that was NEVER FIRED for just $525. The guy we bought it from only knew the gun was Russian.

Needless to say I'm amazed but also saddened that it can't be shot.

Either way. I had an amazing day and still can't believe our luck.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
sell it and buy one that can be shot

Reactions: Arik

·
Super Moderator
26,070 Posts
There are still some great deals at gunshows...nice find! I disagree about not firing it though, take it out, and put some rounds down range with it. looking forward to your pics.

Reactions: Delacroix

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ignore the rubes and DO NOT shoot it. 59 year old Russian SKS's cannot be un-never-fired

1 - 20 of 33 Posts