AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many AK's will an 8oz bottle do? What do you need to flush and clean the airbrush? What thinner do you use?
I have 2 guns for sure, maybe a third if i get bored and decide to build another

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Good Morning Pat,

You'll be able to easily do 3 AK's with an 8 oz bottle of gunkote. I'm trying to figure in my head how many we did with the first bottle of gunkote, but we did a bunch of fal parts too. remember: go extremely light with the gunkote. can ALWAYS touch up later if somehting gets missed. Gunkote it very forgiving.

I use regular thinner from the hardware store and spray it through my airbrush to clean it out. I would be curius to know what everyone else does to theirs? I think I'm neglecting my airbrush. :sad:

[/list]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Travis. BTW, was the thinner you used for clean-up paint thinner or laquer thinner?
and what was used to actually thin the material? the same?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Gunkote makes their own thinner. I bought a pint through Barnells along with 8 oz. of the gunkote.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just an opinion, and experience - not a challenge.

I generally use 10 Oz. of Gunkote per build. I've done 16 builds. The 10 Oz. covers the barrel-receiver group, trigger parts, selector, pins, 1 mag body, bolt, carrier, cleaning rod... everything. You can use less - it's your gun.

1 Quart (for me) is good for three builds.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Trotsky said:
Just an opinion, and experience - not a challenge.

I generally use 10 Oz. of Gunkote per build. I've done 16 builds. The 10 Oz. covers the barrel-receiver group, trigger parts, selector, pins, 1 mag body, bolt, carrier, cleaning rod... everything. You can use less - it's your gun.

1 Quart (for me) is good for three builds.
wow - no challenge taken. I've done 7-8 AK's and FAL's including all the small parts. (minus the FCG's). When we went heavier on the gunkote we would get a real shiny covering. We played around with the airgun too. Before I sent the Badger 400 back to badger for service I was going through twice as much as needed.

Latest Creation

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Travis, gunkote comes in 8 and 16 Oz bottles. Maybe you got that much from a 16oz?? Just a thought. Or maybe the other guy was using the bigger bottle.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Could be preference of coating or maybe I'm wrong on my oz's. I truly respect Trotsky's opinion. I've read his various posts on other gun boards and have always found them informative.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Do you guys have a spray booth set up? I'm not talking about anything major.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The instructions I got with my GunKote states this about cleanup...

IMPORTANT (CLEANUP): After coating your parts, always and immeddiatley, spray "ACETONE or ALCOHOL through the sprayer to clean the nozzle. Failure to do so will clog the sprayer making it useless forever.

I always use ACETONE (get it at ACE Hardware) to clean my airbrush and never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ditto - but I don't spray it. Instead, I take the airbrush down... remove nozle, etc - then shake 'em up in a little jar of acetone.

Acetone is volitile... and it's REAL volitile in a mist with air :) Kind of like spraying gasoline thru an airbrush :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Have any of you guys used the aerosol version of Gunkote? I am wondering how well it worked. Also, can I Gunkote right over the original finish on my sar3, or must it be stripped? Thanks for any info/help!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Chinook said:
Have any of you guys used the aerosol version of Gunkote? I am wondering how well it worked. Also, can I Gunkote right over the original finish on my sar3, or must it be stripped? Thanks for any info/help!
I've seen two rifles refinished with it. I was 'far' from impressed, but it's still light years better than any original SAR or maadi finish. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts