AK Rifles banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Glock 17 with factory night sights, and these past few days I had decided to order one with factory steel sights (not night sights) to go with it.

I called up dealer from out of town that I don't deal with very often, but because of the economy I decided to toss him a bone just to keep the relationship warm, etc.

Well, after being back and forth on the phone all day, he finally told me, "Well, I just can't find one anywhere. But what I'll do for you is order one with plastic sights and I'll put the steel sights on myself."

Reluctantly, I agreed. But something didn't smell right.

I was just in his shop not too many weeks ago and he had several Glock 17's with plastic sights. Plus, I can't put it into words, but I got suspicious from something he said that he was just going to pull one of his 17's off the wall and slap a set of steel sights on it.

Even though I told the guy "okay", I slept on it and something just didn't seem right.

So the next day I called my favorite local dealer, and asked him to find me a Glock 17 with factory steel sights.

Less than five minutes later he called me back and said, "I found one. It'll be here Monday."

I am now even more convinced that the first guy was trying to pull a fast one. He wanted to sell something out of his own stock that had probably been sitting there for six months and so he tried to get me to let him just order the sights and let him slap 'em on himself.

Now, I'm not going to argue that his skills are any better or worse than the factory. That's beside the point: what he wanted to do isn't what I wanted. I wanted a gun with factory steel sights and not a basic model altered and fucked-with by some amateur gunsmith monkey.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

· Registered
3,162 Posts
Should we start viewing your posts with a ****Friday Warning****?

LOL

That aside - you know exactly what he was trying to do, just as you suspected. He is trying to rid himself of old stock and I agree with you 100%.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
Why the change in sights? Mine came from the factory with night sights. I see no reason to swap in and out.

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kaiservontexas said:
Why the change in sights? Mine came from the factory with night sights. I see no reason to swap in and out.

The gun with the night sights is my home defense piece. I just wanted one pistol with factory steel daytime sights that I could put away. You know that night sights have to be changed every few years, and I wanted just one pistol that I know I won't have to ever change the sights on. I plan to put it away for SHTF.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
Hi Zane. While I agree with you totally on getting what you want with no switcheroo, there are some things that must be considered. Sometimes, newer isn't better. In my other life I buy, sell, & work on Motorola radios. Sometimes, a newer version of the same radio has improvements, as problems are figured out & improved upon. However sometimes I see where the factory introduces cost cutting measures to save money & there is no loss of performance, but the price of the radio isn't reduced to the end used. Many times I've seen where components on newer radios are missing, that were on radios built 6 months prior. They figure if the radio works fine without them, they can save money. The factory saves the difference. Many of these radios were made in Ft. Lauderdale. To save money, many are now built in China, or other 3rd world countries to save on assembly costs, but the price hasn't dropped a penny. My whole point is how do we know the new old stock guns the dealer had aren't a better quality than the new "from the factory guns"? Were the dealer's guns sitting in the back room in the box unhandled, or were his guns handled by 50 goobers a day? I could understand if this was an issue. Possibly, the factory can save money by making some parts out of plastic which used to be metal, or milled parts now being mim parts. Just something to consider, but of course the dealer should be honest & give you what you ask for. Hope it works out for you. GARY N4KVE

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part of what caused this situation is that a gunsmith did goober a sight installation for me in the past.

Although I'll let someone tinker with a gun that I shoot/carry/mess with every day; I'd rather have factory installation of everything on a SHTF gun.

Unfortunately, I can't get there with AK's since I replace the FCG's on all of them. At least in that case I know the goober's skills a little better. :goof:

· Premium Member
4,327 Posts
it's wrong.....WRONG!

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Zane Zackerly said:
I called up dealer from out of town that I don't deal with very often, but because of the economy I decided to toss him a bone just to keep the relationship warm, etc.

Well, after being back and forth on the phone all day, he finally told me, "Well, I just can't find one anywhere. But what I'll do for you is order one with plastic sights and I'll put the steel sights on myself."

Reluctantly, I agreed. But something didn't smell right.

Even though I told the guy "okay", I slept on it and something just didn't seem right.
You are trying to get a number of people to tell you what you want to hear to make you feel good.

All the things you said about the first dealer are pure speculation, again to make you feel good.

If you want to back out of the deal, just do it.

Bro :
I have backed out of deals before we all have, the first dealer will just haft to sell the Glock-17 to someone else and life will go on.

· Premium Member
4,327 Posts
i disagree i think it's pretty obvious what the dealer did...and it is wrong...

WRONG!

it pisses me off this is what the op gets for trying to do a good deed

· Registered
2,485 Posts
mike_r123 said:
i disagree i think it's pretty obvious what the dealer did...and it is wrong...

WRONG!

it pisses me off this is what the op gets for trying to do a good deed
Sarcasm?

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Again we all have are own opinions.

The moon will come up tonight, and the sun will come up tomorrow morning as it has for thousands of years.

The first gun dealer will suck it up and sell the Glock 17 to someone else and life will go on.

Maybe we should ask Judge Alex or better yet Judge Joe Brown maybe even Judge Judy can help ?

The Honourable Judge Alfred has already ruled on this matter.

Just my .02 Cents who cares.

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually this is just a cautionary tale that even if you think a dealer is your friend, first and foremost he is in it to make money and your friendship only applies as long as you are bringing him business. As I found out, my attempt to give somebody else the business (instead of calling up my regular dealer again) was not greeted with gratitude, but with borderline or outright dishonesty.

Loyalty, decency, and being an honest customer-oriented dealer are not given quantities.

Buyer Beware.

THAT is the purpose of this thread.

Not calling out anyone in particular, but I've noticed just a general lack of civility on this board lately, not just toward me but other people as well.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
It sounds like you should be mad at yourself and not the gun dealer. You knew you didn't want him to install sights on your pistol, but you agreed to let him do it. Whether he takes a NEW glock off his shelf or orders you a NEW glock, its still NEW. Doesnt change the fact you agreed with his sight plan.

I will add that the distributors I order from are not the same distributors as the 2 other gun shops in town order from. Sometimes my distributors are out of stuff and the other guys aren't. If this guy is lazy he may only work with 1 or 2 distributors and they really may be out of your special model glock.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Zane Zackerly said:
Actually this is just a cautionary tale that even if you think a dealer is your friend, first and foremost he is in it to make money and your friendship only applies as long as you are bringing him business. As I found out, my attempt to give somebody else the business (instead of calling up my regular dealer again) was not greeted with gratitude, but with borderline or outright dishonesty.

Loyalty, decency, and being an honest customer-oriented dealer are not given quantities.

Zane Zackerly :
You have my sincere apology.
I will mind my own Business.
Sorry,
Alfred

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dead_eye said:
It sounds like you should be mad at yourself and not the gun dealer. You knew you didn't want him to install sights on your pistol, but you agreed to let him do it. Whether he takes a NEW glock off his shelf or orders you a NEW glock, its still NEW. Doesnt change the fact you agreed with his sight plan.
Maybe I didn't make it clear in my first post, but it was only after I thought about it did I become suspicious of what was going on. Reading my first post again I don't think I made it crystal clear that this dishonest dealer had told me "he couldn't find one" with factory steel sights; yet my regular dealer found one in less than five minutes. I know it's hard to translate over the internet in a few words, but I realize that I'm not getting my point across that I think he was trying to pull a shenanigan. I can't remember every word he said to repeat it here; it just seemed suspicious to me the way we worked our way around to "Hey, Bro, I'll order one with plastic sights and put 'em on for ya." I stated that I had seen several with plastic sights on his rack which led me to question, "Hmmmmm.....then why does he need to order one?" I just saw some slick used-car salesman bullshit going on there. Right or wrong, my spider sense told me he was stretching the truth. And yes, I did call him back and cancel, explaining that my other dealer found one with factory steel sights with no problem.

dead_eye said:
I will add that the distributors I order from are not the same distributors as the 2 other gun shops in town order from. Sometimes my distributors are out of stuff and the other guys aren't. If this guy is lazy he may only work with 1 or 2 distributors and they really may be out of your special model glock.

Well, then, I should flush him and stick with a supplier who has the sources. So even if he's not dishonest, he is still fired as a supplier.

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alfred said:
Zane Zackerly said:

Zane Zackerly :
You have my sincere apology.
I will mind my own Business.
Sorry,
Alfred

No need to apologize.

I just watch too many threads on this board turn into a "dog pile on somebody" and I'm sick of it.

Can everybody just chill?

If you disagree with something can you not say so without being a smart-ass?

(I'm not saying you're a smart-ass--that's just speaking about "some people.")

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Member Zane Zackerly :

What do you expect ? :roll:

You of all people, long as you have been on this Forum, should know and expect a vast amount of differing opinions when you start a thread like this.

Take care and have a good weekend.
Alfred

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alfred said:
You of all people, long as you have been on this Forum, should know and expect a vast amount of differing opinions when you start a thread like this.

Differing opinions are one thing; the outright disrespect is what's wearing thin (and I think I'm really talking about some other people's threads I've viewed recently that ended up locked or with people being warned because they decided to show their ass).

Or maybe what's getting under my skin is some asswipe having to tear down somebody's pride and joy because 'he wouldn't have done it that way.'

Anyway, I guess this thread has run its course too.

No hard feelings anybody.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Your dealer is not necessarily your loyal friend.

"Can't we all just get along?"--Rodney King

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.