AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am doing my first build and it is nearing completion. I am using a NDS receiver and would like to add a side rail. I did a search and couldn't find any info on how best to place and cut the holes for the rail. Does anyone know where I can find a guide?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I just use the side rail as a guide, the rear rivet uses the forward hole of the rear trunnion, after that level the rail with the top rail of the receiver, drill holes and rivet away.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
+1., ., like most build routines there are several ways to get it done.,

Remove the rear block rivet and put the rail in place with a drill bit or rivet in the rear hole.

Use a small c-clamp to loosely tighten the rail to the receiver side.

Use a dial caliper to verify the alignment to the top of the receiver. Technically it is the bore alignment that is the line but the receiver top seems to be good.

tighten the c-clamp and re-check alignment with the caliper.

center punch the front hole location and undersize drill it to verify still being centered.

If the hole wanders a few .000's you can use a Dremel burr to get it back in line. Be sure to measure and verify as you go so the c-clamp is still holding the rail in alignment.

drill to proper rivet size and check alignment with the rivet in the hole ., if adjustment needed do it now

set the front rivet with your jig or bolt cutter crusher

drill & set center rivet., you will need a small puck or one of the jig tools to get t the recessed rivet in the center.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok sounds easy enough. Any ideas on which side rail to get, and where to get it?
I saw ak-builder had some, but they are all out of stock...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts